[lbo-talk] Let's Argue About Sonic Youth's "Retro-necro reverence"!
Rebecca

ok, provocateur!

Blaming Sonic Youth for nostalgia in music is just silly. All music is
a network of references to other music. Musicians, like other artists,
copy each other. Like other artists, they borrow from and pay homage
to contemporaries and predecessors. Most great musicians are also
great lovers of other people's music

Sometimes people into indie-rock are so into novelty that they like
stuff just because they think it dispenses with conventions even if it
sounds terrible (like most of uber-hip Dave Longstreth, who just seems
like a Saturday Night Live parody of earnest folk-rock to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdT0N4GOydo). Can't decide for
themselves what they like? Have no aesthetic criteria except what
other people say is cool? That's why I think a lot of these
hipper-than-thou music fans describe the most vanilla, hackneyed
pop-drivel as if its genius, &/or praise to the skies some completely
amateurish indy act who will disappear in a few years and while
dissing Sonic Youth for being past their prime.

As for the ATP "Don't Look Back" concerts - I've seen the criticisms
but I don't agree. Maybe it's because I'm older than most of the other
folks at the rock show, but I don't see what's so bad about enjoying
music that's all of twenty years old. Maybe it's even more nostalgic
to insist that classic records can only be enjoyed in the CD player
and never live (unless remixed or re-imagined by some youngster). the
Don't Look Back shows that I saw at Pitchfork fest in 07 and 08 were
great.

Thurston Moore also joined another elder, Yoko Ono for "Mulberry" the
following night when she headlined. Too bad the Stooges' reunion was
lame. It's not true of everyone. Public Enemy's performance of "It
Takes a Nation of Millions" in 2008 was fantastic and energizing. see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvSc-XQflek&feature=related