Materialism is a form of idealism
Chris Doss

This is not evidence that ideas are not matter. Indeed, as always and
inherently, it is the opposite. Because evidence is an idea. :)
Really, people didn't only learn yesterday that the body determines
the mind! All idealists know that. Plato was perfectly aware that when
you drink alcohol or get a spear through your head, you think
differently. But that didn't bother them, because the body and alcohol
and spears are ideas. (Plato was actually an idealist in a different
sense than that that I discuss below, but bear with me.)

^^^^^
CB: Another way to say some of this is that human mind or ideas are an
emergent phenomenon of matter.

I'd say the Marxist-Leninist philosophical fundamental or definitional
statements are for metaphysics or ontology from Engels " There is
nothing but matter and its mode of existence is motion", and
epistemology from Lenin " Materialism is the belief in the existence
of objective reality. "

Marxist philosophy categorizes Plato as an objective idealist. Hegel
too. Lenin's book is a critique of subjective idealism, Berkeley,
Hume, and as Lenin argues, really, Kant, who is a " shamefaced
materialist" in Engels phrase. Another term for it is agnostic. Kant
is an agnostic i.e. doesn't know, thinks there are un_knowable_
things-in-themselves. (A lot of good belieiving there are
things-in-themseleves or objective reality, if we can't know it !).
There are deists and agnostics. Hegel's philosophy is actually written
as a form of Christianity and belief in God or deism. Plato is a bit
far back  and different to categorize as a modern deist, I suspect.
On the other hand, in  another writing, Lenin ( in Russian !) refers
to Hegel as arch-brilliant and borderline materialist ! Hegel's
Christianity seems suspiciously a cover to deal with reactionary
Prussian censors or something

Anyway, for Engels there is a significant identity of idealism and
deism, and materialism and atheism  So another definition of
materialism is atheism.

All these definitions do not imply that ideas or human mind have no
determinitive impact in human affairs , cultures, structures,
economies ( see article by Sahlins that initiated this thread). I'd
say, with the Bible that "In the beginning " of human society "was the
Word". Not the beginning of the universe or earth, but the beginning
of the human species was language, the Word, culture, tradition,
custom, symbols , systems of ideas, kin systems.

^^^^^

The brain is an object of experience. Electrical impulses in the brain
are an object of experience. Artificial limbs are objects of
experience. No one has ever seen a brain, an electrical impulse, or an
artificial limb that is not an object of experience, nor can they, and
there is no conceivable evidence that anything corresponds to them
outside of experience, because any evidence you gain will, again, be
an object of experience.

^^^^
CB: Agree. This is empiricism. Materialism is not synonymous with
empiricism, but it doesn''t contradict it. Empiricism equated with
materialism becomes positivist error. "Experiences" are had by
individuals. This is a necessary step in the scientific or materialist
epistemology, individual experience, but it is materialism only when
individual experience is combined with social experience in
particular, communications from others to the individual of their
experiences. This is the aspect of social labor that is communication
and combination of the experiences of maney.

^^^^^

"Experience" is something that happens to a consciousness, that is, an
idea. So, what you have done is correlate objects of experience, that
is, ideas, saying, this thing I experience correlates to that thing I
experience in such and such a way. To use an old example, you do not
refute Berkeley by kicking a rock and saying, "I refute Berkeley
thus!" Because you didn't kick a rock, you kicked an idea of a rock,
or rather, rocks were ideas all along.

^^^^
CB: Materialism concerns a relationship between consciousness and
objective reality, or that which you are referring to as experience.
Materialism holds that both consciousness and objective reality are
matter ( "There is nothing but matter...) and that there is matter
outside of the matter of consciousness ( belief in the existence of
objective reality).  There is matter outside the matter of
consciousness. Consciousness experiences something other than itself.
There is matter other  than the matter which is ideas.

^^^^

The entire pattern of correlation could be explained, if you wanted to
do so, in a purely solipsistic manner. There is no difference to the
dreamer between dream and reality. And Occam's razor says, to the
dreamer, "your dream is real," because that is indeed the simplest
explanation.

^^^^^
CB: I agree that dreams are the purest form of individual
consciousness or consciousness only experiencing itself, or the self
experiencing only itself, or solopsism.  Dreaming in naturally
occuring and necessary solopsism.

^^^^^

These arguments are all really, really old. Thousands of years old.

^^^^^
CB: What's old is new again. 2000 years of Western philosophy.

^^^^^

My opinion is that materialism and idealism are both wrong, being
metaphysical positions, and metaphysics, as this Kant guy showed, is
impossible. However, idealism is at least consistent, whereas
materialism is balls-up nonsense from the inside-out.
^^^^^^^
CB: You got it backwards. Materialism, dialectical materialism or the
materialism as I've defined it on this thread is consistent. Look over
the above arguments again and I'm sure you'll agree (smile)

^^^^^^^

Again, I am talking about metaphysical materialism here, not e.g.
historical materialism. The truth or falsity of historical materialism
does not hinge on the metaphysical nature of the universe, but on the
relation between events, er, objects of experience.

^^^^^
CB: I don't use "metaphysical". Hegel critiqued metaphysics. There's
also the term ontology.  But anyway,  there is nothing but matter
(materialist ontology or "metaphysics" )and its mode of existence is
motion ( dialectics, everything moves or changes, nothing stays the
same forever, there is no God or Rock of Ages or eternally constant;
dialectics defines atheism , too)

materialist dialectics  ( See _Ludwig Feuerbach_ by Engels)