Here part of my old exchange with Rosa. The same issue of the
contradiction in "John is a man" came up in Kliman's exchange with her

Rosa gets CB
Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Aug 23 09:48:11 MDT 2007

I may be lliterate, but at least she admits I'm logical.

CB

^^^^^^^

Logical Illiterates Strike Again

A year or so ago I had the great misfortune to correspond with an
irascible fellow who could not resist making ill-informed comments
about my Essays, all the while refusing to read them.

I refused to continue to correspond with him on that basis, and, it
seems, he has been sulking ever since. Last year I had occasion to
slap some materialist sense into him (here), but I fear that this
incorrigible Idealist is beyond even my help. Despite several attempts
to inoculate him from his own folly, Mr B has once again demonstrated
that he is immune to the influence of modern logic, preferring his own
brand of sub-Hegelian make-believe. Commenting on an argument of mine,
he had this to say:

"CB: The sentence 'John is a man' means John is both the same and
different from Joe, Jack, Rosa, Charles...  It is precisely the 'is'
of predication that is a unity and struggle of opposites. The 'is' of
identity  'He is John.' -- that is not a tautology.

CB: This should be 'that is a tautology'." [Quotation marks changed to
conform to the conventions adopted here.]

This odd piece of reasoning was exposed for what it is here, and here.

Despite this, Mr B hopes to neutralise my arguments by referring
merely to his own not inconsiderable authority in this field -- that
is, the field usually occupied by Popes and assorted dictators whose
word is law. And in matters logical, that should be enough for us. It
certainly is for Mr B.

He now deigns to comment on the musings of my colleague Babeuf; here
is an example of truly innovative historical materialism:

"CB: Another fundamental activity was the raising of children. I'm
thinking language/culture emerged between parents and children."

It is reasonably clear that Mr B has shot from the hip again -- or
rather shot from the holster and into his foot --, for if the above
were the case, not only would parents and children confront each other
like Pentecostal ecstatics, mouthing incomprehensible noises at one
another, no two families would share the same idiolect. Communication
between families would thus be impossible. In that case, 'culture', as
Mr B sees it, would soon begin to resemble that cacophony which
constantly sounds in his head.

Now, in Essay Twelve Part One, I asserted that most Marxists give
lip-service to the idea that language is a social phenomenon, but fail
to think through the implications of that fact, and talk and write as
if language were a private affair. Mr B has shown once again that when
it comes to getting things wrong, he is keen to elbow his way to the
front of the queue. How language can be social, but remain a family
affair is perhaps another one of the 'contradictions' that still
compromises his thought processes:

"Before I had even heard of dialectics -- living in the a mental (sic)
world of strict formal logic -- I started to 'run into' lots of
contradictions and paradoxes. My own road to dialectics was a
posteriori, not a priori."

Mr B here confuses matters biographical with matters logical; unless
--, of course, he thinks paradoxes are a posteriori. But, even if he
were right, this otherwise commendable public confession of his own
confused thought should not be read as mere humility. On the contrary,
the road to Hermetic-enlightenment -- a path which all true
dialecticians have to pass along in order to qualify as adepts (and
the reasons for this are exposed here)  -- elevates them way above the
rest of us mortals. This means that if ever they regain power
somewhere they can screw-up once more in a truly almighty and
awe-inspiring manner. After all, they have a suitably screwy theory to
help them on their way.

But what is this? It is none other than our old friend Mr D, who
volunteers a riposte so devastating I hesitate to post it here for
fear it might affect the reader's sanity:

"This is just stupid, even more stupid than the Trotskyist recitations
of dialectics."

Mr D, someone who is not known for his ability to string a clear
argument together -- but a well-respected expert at drawing attention
to that fact --, probably does not know that the material about which
he is commenting has to be compressed into a three minute slot, and
has to be kept to a level that makes it comprehensible to mere
workers. And here he can be forgiven, for over the years, at his site,
he has developed an enviable skill at repelling such lowly types, and
to the extent that he has probably forgotten their limitations. One of
which is that they find the mystical ideas he spouts incomprehensible.
It's a good job then that we have substitutionists of his calibre to
do their thinking for them.

Now, we have already seen that Mr D takes exception to anyone who
cannot compress a PhD thesis into a sentence or two --, a skill he
taunts the rest of us with, since, as the sentence above reveals, he
can squeeze several into a single line. He is, I am sure, working on
doing the same with a single word.

We wait with baited hooks...

Mr B then posted a few sections from a summary Essay of mine, but the
eagle-eyed Mr D swooped in for the kill, with yet more lethal prose:

"This is all pretty juvenile leftism."

Well, Mr D should know.

But, it is rather unfair of him to pull rank, and complain that my
words are juvenile when he still has his dialectical diapers on. And
as if to prove it, he throws another toy out of his pram:

"The entire history of philosophy to Rosa is a scheme, a ruse, duplicity."

He might like to quote where I say this, or even imply it.

But, accuracy is not Mr D's concern; we have seen that several times already.

[Less charitable readers might be forgiven a snigger or ten here when
they notice that Mr D thinks that the history of Philosophy can be a
"a ruse, duplicity". Philosophy itself might be so described (but not
by me), but how the history of that bogus discipline can be depicted
thus is a question that perhaps Mr D's psychiatrist is alone qualified
to answer.]

Back to Mr B, for he is intent on providing yet more amusement. In
response to that summary of my criticisms of Lenin's crass remarks, he
bravely leapt to his defence (but the reader will soon see that Lenin
would be better defended by his sworn enemies, if this is the best Mr
B can do):

"Anyway, the first thing I noticed is that this is from 'Philosophical
Notebooks'. That means personal musings, talking out loud to oneself,
unpublished personal thoughts. That doesn't mean they can't be
criticized, but it also means we can't be sure what status Lenin gave
them, but there's a good chance that he didn't publish them because he
may have had criticisms of them himself.  It's kind of cheating to
attribute to them such a fundamental status in Lenin's arguments for
his positions."

So, with Mr B as his defence attorney, Lenin would be well advised to
plead guilty and throw himself on the mercy of the court.

Mr B should know (but I hesitate to praise him too much here) that
Lenin's words are treated as gospel by practicing Marxists, and it is
these I am addressing in my Essays, not armchair HCDs like him.

However, if Mr B is right, and we can disregard Lenin's amateurish
musings, all well and good, In that case, perhaps we should throw
Hegel's Hermetic hodge-podge onto Hume's bonfire too? Since the
latter's work reads like an extended April Fool's joke, who will miss
it?

But, how does Mr B handle the summary of my argument? Well, it is
worth pointing out that the comment below was written after he had
pointed out that Lenin was summarising his own ideas, and should not
be treated unfairly because of that. No problem, Rosa's summary can be
treated with disdain; after all consistency is not to be expected of
someone who thinks reality is riddled with contradictions.

"Also, the 'John is a man' discussion is not given in the discussion
itself and inferentially by it being a personal diary, the logical
status that Rosa gives it, i.e. that Lenin claimed to derive eternal
truths and universal principles out of it. On the contrary, he seems
to be discussing it as an example, not some kind of fundamental proof
of the universality of dialectics. That's really cheating by Rosa. She
portrays this example by Lenin as if he uses it in the opposite of the
way he actually does. Can't remember whether I raised this with Rosa
when she was here. I do remember she got pretty angry pretty quickly ,
started hurling insults pretty quickly when challenged. I realize she
gets challenged a lot, so for her it was just the same old
lunkheadism, but I mean, I really can't see where Lenin employed the
'John is a man' thing as fundamentally, can't see where he attempted
to derive as much from it as she claims. She should start with an
example from something published. When she uses an intellectual diary
note, it could very well be that Lenin didn't publish it because he
thought of some of the same criticisms of it that she did."

Can anyone figure out what this muddle-head is trying to say here? Is
there a an actual counter-argument in there -- anywhere?

Now, Mr B should know that Lenin is here summarising an argument Hegel
inflicted on humanity (one that had first appeared in Aristotle, but
which assumed classical form in Aquinas and Buridan (references can be
found in Essay Three Part One)), where he does try to derive
everything from the nature of 'judgements' -- sentences of a certain
sort -- where the "is" of predication is re-configured as an "is" of
identity. Hegel uses "The rose is red" to show that the universe is
fundamentally contradictory. Is it unfair of me to point this out?
Perhaps it was even more unfair of Hegel to advert to his own logical
incompetence in this way?

[That argument, if such it may be called, is dissected here, and here.]

In passing, Mr B notes I get angry very quickly. Here is how I
explained why this is so (on the opening page of this site):

How Not To Argue 101

This page contains links to forums on the web where I have 'debated'
this creed with other comrades.

For anyone interested, check out the desperate 'debating' tactics used
by Dialectical Mystics in their attempt to respond to my ideas.

You will no doubt note that the vast majority all say the same sorts
of things... They all like to make things up, too, about me and my
beliefs.

25 years (!!) of this stuff from Dialectical Mystics has meant I now
take an aggressive stance with them every time -- I soon learnt back
in the 1980's that being pleasant with them (my initial tactic) did
not alter their abusive tone, their propensity to fabricate....

So, these days, I generally go for the jugular from the get-go.

Except, of course, I do not get angry, I just go on the offensive.

Mr B's earlier correspondence with me showed that he too was quite
happy to make stuff up about my ideas (without bothering to check).
But still he wonders why I become aggressive. In response, I'd post
this quite rare picture of him, but even I am not that cruel:

Based on a summary of my argument -- which even at 71,000 words
represents less than 10% of the material I have so far published -- he
thinks he has understood my work. Had he bothered to check (and you
can stop that sniggering at the back; I am sure one day he will) he
would have seen that I quote from published work, scores of times,
right across the DM-spectrum. Indeed, I manage to show that every
single dialectician indulges in the same sort of a priori dogmatics --
in private notebooks and published work -- as Lenin, Engels and Hegel.
In fact, that is the only way they can make this loopy 'theory' seem
to work.

But, how does this super-scientist answer that allegation?

"Hegel, Marx, Engels, Lenin give lots of other examples as the basis
for their generalization rendering their claims a posteriori, not a
priori."

However, we can leave Marx out, for he is almost totally silent on
this 'theory'. As for the rest, here is what I say in Essay Seven:

To be sure, there are a handful of scientists who accept this and the
other two 'Laws' as laws -- particularly those who hail from previous
generations of the Communist Party (e.g., Bernal, Haldane and Levy,
etc.), but it is quite clear that these comrades would have treated
with contempt a PhD thesis that relied on evidence as weak as that
found in this area of dialectics. Indeed, their acceptance of the
adequacy of the 'data' in support of DM is somewhat analogous to a
similar acceptance by scientists (who are also Creationists) of
'evidence' in favour of, say, the scientific accuracy of the Book of
Genesis.

In general, however, the examples usually given by dialecticians (like
Hegel, Lenin and Engels) to illustrate their 'Laws' are almost without
exception either anecdotal or impressionistic. If someone were to
submit a paper to a science journal purporting to establish the
veracity of a new law with the same level of vagueness, imprecision,
triteness, lack of detail and overall theoretical naivety, it would be
rejected at the first stage. Indeed, dialecticians would themselves
treat with derision any attempt to establish, say, either the truth of
classical economic theory or the falsity of Marx's own work with an
evidential display that was as crassly amateurish as this --, to say
nothing of the derision they would show for such theoretical
wooliness. In such circumstances, those who might be quick to cry
"pedantry" at the issues raised in this Essay would become devoted
pedants, and nit pick with the best.

Now, anyone who has studied or practiced real science will know this
to be true. It is only in books on DM (and internet discussion boards)
that Mickey Mouse material of this sort seems acceptable.

And this is what I say in the Basic Introductory Essay:

Anyone who has studied and practiced genuine science will know the
lengths to which researchers have to go to alter even minor aspects of
current theory, let alone justify major changes in the way we view
nature.

In stark contrast, and without exception, dialecticians offer a few
paragraphs of trite (and over-used) clichés to support their claims.
Hence, all we find are hackneyed references to things like boiling
water, balding heads, plants 'negating' seeds, Mamelukes fighting the
French, a character from Molière suddenly discovering that he speaks
prose, and the like, all constantly retailed. From such banalities,
dialecticians suddenly derive universal laws, applicable everywhere
and at all times.

Even at its best (for example, in Woods and Grant (1995), which is one
of the most comprehensive defences of classical, hard-core DM to date,
and Gollobin (1986), which is if anything even more comprehensive), we
encounter perhaps a few dozen pages of secondary and tertiary
information, extensively padded out with repetition and bluster (much
of which is taken apart here). Contrary evidence (of which there is
much) is simply ignored. This is indeed Mickey Mouse Science.

As Essays Two and Seven show, the universal and eternally-true theses
dialecticians regularly lift from Hegel go way beyond even the meagre
evidence Engels, Lenin and Hegel offered in support.

Mr B's parting shot:

"With this initial seriously cheating move by Rosa, I have trouble
getting up the energy to look at her further arguments."

Well, what a loss to humanity!

Please, someone e-mail him and tell him to "get" it up.

Otherwise I will have no one to poke fun at.

Word Count: 2710

Return to the Main Index

 © Rosa Lichtenstein 2007

Hits since August 14 2007: