1 Obama Seeks Benchmarks and 'Off-Ramps'
2 Afghan Plan to Include Exit Strategy

Seeking Benchmarks and 'Off-ramps,' President Obama Sends Pentagon
Officials Back to their Desks

Jake Tapper
ABC News Senior White House Correspondent
November 12, 2009
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/11/seeking-benchmarks-and-offramps-president-obama-sends-pentagon-officials-back-to-their-desks.html

The president sent war council officials back to their
desks to answer specific questions to which he has yet
to hear the answers, senior administration officials
tell ABC News.

For Pentagon officials, one official said, that meant
"not just how many young men and women they want to go
into Afghanistan -- but when they can go home."

The president has not yet heard "sufficient explanation
of how we get out of Afghanistan and not simply just be
signing up for another eight years, the official said.
He wants to know where the "off-ramps" are.

The president is well aware that there is no easy
answer about the way forward in Afghanistan, an
official said, but before making any decision he is
pressing for all planners to set benchmarks of what can
realistically be achieved by US troops, by US
civilians, and by the government of Afghan President
Hamid Karzai -- and plans for what to do next if those
benchmarks are met, or if they are not.

The commitment of US troops in Afghanistan is not open-
ended, the president has emphasized, and everyone
involve needs to know that.

The president's eighth war council meeting, held on
Wednesday, will almost certainly not be the last one,
officials said.

Officials are now working on answering questions he has
about all four of the possible strategies being debated
-- two from Gen. Stanley McChrystal and two other
strategies.

Another senior administration official says the
President was greatly impacted by two classified cables
sent by the US Ambassador to Afghanistan, Gen. Karl
Eikenberry (Ret.), who expressed in urgent terms his
concerns about sending any more US troops until Karzai
can be viewed as a credible partner.

Said one official, "Karl has warned throughout this
process about the limits of what we can expect out of
the Karzai government," but these cables were
significant.

The lack of faith the Obama administration has in
Karzai's government's ability to clean up corruption
and provide basic services for its people is a major
source of concern for the president, officials said.
Officials are working on a compact to lay out
benchmarks for the Karzai government to meet in those
areas, as well as in training Afghan police and Afghan
army forces.

Eikenberry arguably "knows Afghanistan better than
anyone else in the US government," a senior
administration official said. "He's basically been
there non-stop since 2003 in a range of capabilities,
at a range of times, and in range of assignments,"
having served as United States Security Coordinator for
Afghanistan, Chief of the Office of Military
Cooperation-Afghanistan and Commander of the Combined
Forces Command.

As leader of the civilian diplomatic corps as
Ambassador, Eikenberry is "lead civilian Big Dog in
this fight," another official said. "The President
really wants his unvarnished opinion."

The force structure in Afghanistan has already
essentially been doubled since the president took
office, with 13,000 troops already in the pipeline and
21,000 troops added by the President in March. There is
no talk of withdrawing these forces as of now, but the
president does not want to add more to their number
without clear benchmarks and a timeline -- he wants to
know "not just how to get in there, but how to get
out," an official said.

The recent advice of Gen. Colin Powell (Ret.) for the
president to "take (his) time," was important,
officials said, and squared with advice given by others
who had made major military decisions to get it right,
and not to get it done quickly.

Senior administration officials rejected accusations
that this process was "dithering," as Vice President
Cheney called it, or anything other than constructive.
Military sources have said that regardless of the
strategy the first new troops won't arrive in
Afghanistan until January 2010, so more time for the
president to make his decision will not necessarily
impact that timeline$

One official argued that "this process makes the
decision more informed. We will make a better decision
because of this process."

The president is taking very seriously, an official
said, the fact that he is the "sole person who can
order these young people into harm's way," in
conjunction with the grave "situation in the world in
the moment" regarding extremism.

===

Afghan Plan to Include Exit Strategy

By Mike Allen
November 12, 2009
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1109/29461.html

ELMENDORF AIR FORCE BASE, Alaska - President Barack
Obama's strategy for Afghanistan will include a plan
for "how we're going to get folks out" after a secure
environment can be passed to the Afghan government,
White House press secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters
aboard Air Force One on Thursday.

"We have been there for eight years. And we're not
going to be there forever," Gibbs said. "It's important
to fully examine not just how we're going to get folks
in but how we're going to get folks out."

Gibbs spoke en route to Alaska, where the president
stopped at an Air Force base in Anchorage before
traveling on to Tokyo for his maiden trip to Asia,
which will take him to Japan, Singapore, China and
South Korea.

The president "has asked for, and will want, benchmarks
to evaluate our progress," Gibbs said. "That's part of
his desire to get a sense of where we are rather than
committing to an open-ended conflict."

"Our success in Afghanistan is most dependent upon the
Afghan government being a true partner," the aide
added. "What we have to do is establish a security
environment that can ultimately be passed to the
Afghans to provide that security."

Gibbs said no announcement about an Afghanistan
strategy is planned before the president returns at the
end of next week.

"He will continue consultations and questions about
this throughout the trip," Gibbs said.

Asked if he believes the strategy-formulation process
is winding down, Gibbs said: "I do. I think we're
making progress, and I think the president gets closer
and closer every day."

Asked if there will be another formal strategy meeting,
he replied: "I think it's probably likely, yes."

On Wednesday, Obama held his eighth formal strategy
session on Afghanistan. It lasted about two hours and
20 minutes.

"I think everybody thought, coming out of yesterday's
meeting, that the meeting was very productive and that
we made progress," Gibbs said. "What the president
wants to ensure is that we take into account and
understand - so that the American people can understand
- our time commitment and ensure that we have the
strongest partner in the Afghan government. And we want
to make sure that we continue to work on those aspects.
. The meetings were very productive. This has been a
very rigorous and deliberative process."

c 2009 Capitol News Company, LLC