On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 14:11:15 +0900 CeJ <jann...@gmail.com> writes:
> And more on the physiologists--Vvedensky, Bekhterev and Pavlov,
> including excerpts from Vygotsky's take on them (which brings me to
> the conclusion that Vygotsky actually agrees some with Husserl on
> the
> 'crisis'). I think Pavlov had the largest impact on American
> behaviourists (and remember it was the Americans who helped to get
> the
> Russians going on behaviourism in the first place) probably because
> of
> a couple very good translations and the 'generalizability' of his
> methods to experimentation in the US. Bekhterev appears to be the
> more
> expansive thinker. I don't know much about Vvedensky at all.
>
> V, B and P were all physiologists first, but Vygotsky was a
> 'semiotician'.
>
> CJ

In disucssing the fluctuating fortunes of
Pavlovian reflexology under the Stalin
regime it is interesting to note B.F. Skinner's
comments on this (Skinner having been
a great admirer of Pavlov).
Thus, in *Beyond Freedom & Dignity*, Skinner
wrote:

"Communist Russia provided and interesting case
history in the relation between environmentalism and
personal responsibility, as Raymond Bauer has pointed
out. Immediately after the revolution the government
could argue that if many Russians were uneducated,
unproductive, badly behaved, and unhappy, it was
because their environment had made them so.
The new government would change the environment,
making use of Pavlov's work on conditioned reflexes,
and all would be well. But by the early thirties the government
had its chance, and many Russians were still not
conspicuously better informed, more productive,
better behaved, or happier. The official line was then
changed, and Pavlov went out of favor. A strongly
purposive psychology was substituted: it was up to
the Russian citizen to get an education, work productively,
behave well, and be happy. The Russian educator was
to make sure that he would accept this responsibility,
but not by conditioning him. The successes of the
Second World War restored confidence in the earlier
principle, however; the government had been
successful after all. It might not yet be completely
effective,but it was moving in the right direction.
Pavlov came back into favor."

Jim Farmelant