On 12/18/09, Matthew Birkhold <birkh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> CB,
> Thanks for sending that.  I know I owe you some thoughts on Fordism,
> Leninism, and Marx's general law and they're coming.
>
> In your estimation, how important is cyclical unemployment to Marx's general
> law?  Or, in other words, does permanent unemployment require us to move
> beyond Marx's general law because the industrial reserve army will never be
> hired back and, consequently, the great mass of proletarianiazed people no
> longer have any power at the point of production?

On this point, I usually think of the general law of capitalist
accumulation as a "secular"  trend, in the economists' sense of
"permanent", continuous or not cyclical.   So, permanent unemployment
is one of the central features of the general law of continous
immiseration of some mass of people.

> An Argentinian marxist named Jose Nun wrote a piece in 1964 where he argued
> that, in Latin AMerica, there existed a marginal mass of people who, unlike
> the IRA, were afunctional.  They would never be hired into production
> because the technological revolution taking place during that  time (i.e.
> automation) meant that the industrial working class was no longer constantly
> growing, as Marx had argued in chapter 32 of Capital but instead was growing
> smaller.

reserve army and "relative surplus population", yes.  Is the
industrial working class, worldwide, growing smaller absolutely or
relatively ?  I imagine there are more industrial workers today in
absolute number than in 1867.

> Hope you're well.
>
> Peace, Matt

Same to you , comrade.