I've been doing this for years and years. And I
guess I won't be free of this burden till all the
CPers, Trots, and Maoists are long gone. Briefly:

See my review of:

<http://www.autodidactproject.org/my/norman-sayers.html>Dialectics
Bout: Richard Norman vs. Sean Sayers (book review)

And as for Engels' perspicaciousness, see this well-known excerpt:

<http://www.autodidactproject.org/quote/engels-hol.html>Engels
contra Holism [my title]

But for some of Engels'  mess-ups, see:

<http://www.marxists.org/history/etol/writers/heijen/works/math.htm>Friedrich
Engels and Mathematics by Jean Van Heijenoort

A couple of key points about the logical
ambiguity of diamat: Engels constantly conflates
empirical and logical matters, reflected in his
formulation of dialectical "laws". The notion of
a set of dialectical laws applying uniformly to
nature, society, and thought is confused and
sloppy. This actually takes what's interesting
about dialectical method entirely out of the
picture. Engels delivers in these instances only
vaguely on a far more promising goal of
dialectics as the science of "universal
interconnection". (Actually, this notion is also
mystified via an excessive holism.) But Engels is
at other times quite perceptive, as in the quote
adduced above. That is, dialectics as
epistemology involves a total process of analysis
and synthesis, or, as Lenin later put it, "the
splitting up of a single whole and the cognition
of its contradictory parts". Quotes like these
are not terrifically precise, but they get at
what matters about dialectics applied to the
ideology of the natural sciences. The three
dialectical laws, though heuristically useful at
times, are trivial by comparison.

The relevance here of Engels as critic of Duhring
is reflected also in Marx, e.g. in this notable quote from Capital:

"The weak points in the abstract materialism of
natural science, a materialism that excludes
history and its process, are at once evident from
the abstract and ideological conceptions of its
spokesmen, whenever they venture beyond the bounds of their own speciality."

A contemporary example is the childish
application of evolutionary theory to
psychological and social analysis, a la Dawkins'
memes and other BS. Dialectics as epistemology is
about the nature of abstraction, its connection
to empirical reality, and the interconnections in
empirical reality which abstraction must learn to
reproduce conceptually. But the bullshit that
comprises the standard expositions of diamat
actually represses recognition of the
subject-object relationship between the
dialectics of cognition and the empirical world
it must appropriate via the means of abstraction.
Hence this murky porridge of the fictive uniform
laws of nature, society, and thought that obliterates all distinctions.

What does Riggins write? The same old brain-dead
CP marxist-leninist textbook crap:

"Why Did Engels Write Anti-Dühring?
Thomas Riggins
http://paeditorsblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/why-did-engels-write-anti-duhring.html

The same crap, of course, has been endlessly
recycled by all the Stalinist, Trotskyist, and
Maoist epigones. As I've repeatedly emphasized,
I'm not one who disses or dismisses Engels, or
Lenin. After a century of the latter and a
century and a third of the former, is it too much
to ask greater logical precision at last? These
criticisms have been floating about in one way or
another for decades. The only thing left worth
discussing is why otherwise intelligent people
keep falling for the same nonsense. It's a
non-trivial question. We could go back to the
1930s debates for example in Britain, in which
J.D. Bernal dogmatically deflected all doubts
expressed about diamat, or more recently to the
past few years to the publishing record of the
Marxist Educational Press in the USA, including
its journal NATURE, SOCIETY, AND THOUGHT, which
also reflects the schizophrenia of people capable
of logical sophistication but beholden to the
banalities of orthodoxy as well. I tend to think
there's a combination of causes here: both the
appeal of a superficially logical world view
which contains a rational element buried under
logical confusion, combined with a dogmatic
fealty to what is taken to be Marxist-Leninist
tradition. This is the only reason to continue beating a long-dead horse.