"The weak points in the abstract materialism of natural science, a
materialism that excludes history and its process, are at once
evident from the abstract and ideological conceptions of its
spokesmen, whenever they venture beyond the bounds of their own speciality."

  --- Karl Marx

Terry Eagleton is a disgrace. As for Schneider, the content of his
article belles its bullshit title. There's no connection between the
Death of God movement and the new atheism, or the old. So here are my
bullet points.

1. 'Death of God' theology can be criticized in the same manner as
Marx criticized Young Hegelians like Bauer and Feuerbach---the
discussion remains entirely within the boundaries of ideology--in
this case mythology--and simply juggles mythical concepts cut off
from the realities that generate them. Only the higher criticism of
the early 19th century made something progress, whereas the Death of
God movement simply rationalized a dying (for the intelligentsia)
religion. Altizer is an interesting character, but it's all nothing
more than the retooling of mythology within mythology.

2. The lack of sophistication of Dawkins, Harris, Shermer and others
in or out of the official grouping of the "new atheists", is another
matter entirely. They don't have to be familiar with the intricacies
of theology and prove their competence thereto in order to engage in
debate about the falsehood of religious belief. All this liberal
religion is very much a subterfuge in any case, playing a shady game
of "as if" while being very cagey about what one actually commits
oneself to--a game played by intellectuals who are too smart to
believe what the ordinary person purports to believe but not honest
enough to cut oneself loose from it. One finds this among liberal
Jewish, Christian, and presumably other religionists.

What Dawkins et al are deficient in is far more serious. First, they
are philosophically naive or inept. They don't understand the
interplay between the realms of philosophy and empirical science (cum
scientific theory), and they don't understand how philosophy works.
So when they make the leap to philosophical statements, they think
they are still engaging in straightforward scientific propositions.

But it's much worse than this. Dawkins et al don't know, AND DON'T
WANT TO KNOW, anything about history or society or politics.
(Hitchens knows something, but doesn't want to know it anymore,
except for name-dropping self-promotion.) They want to read society,
culture, and history directly off of biological evolution or
cognitive psychology, unmediated by any engagement with real history
or sociology.