I'm not sure what Martin Luther knew or when he knew it. But perhaps
the more interesting groups are the Anabaptists who emerge in
Europe--which brings us back to the 19th century, eventually. I grew
up close to Mennonite communities, and their intellectuals still talk
of why they now embrace 'pacifism' because of all the violence and
conflict in post-Reformation Europe.

No, the Essenes are not a group mentioned in the Bible, if I am at all
clear on what groups do get referred to. But some have explicitly
linked John the Baptist to the Essenes, while others point out,
actually baptism by full immersion was common across a lot of groups
within the broader Abrahamism. Others point out how the Essenes seem
to have beliefs that come from other traditions as well.

You might find these texts and discussions interesting.

http://nazirene.org/essene_gospel_of_peace_book1.htm

http://mb-soft.com/believe/txo/pharise2.htm

CJ