Nathan Huggins, revolutionary historian
-- 11/29/2009
By Grace Lee Boggs
The Michigan Citizen

On Dec. 5 an Interdisciplinary Symposium at Harvard University will
celebrate the Life and Scholarship of Nathan I. Huggins, former
director of Harvard’s Department of African and African American
Studies and DuBois Center, the position now held by Henry Louis Gates
Jr.

Huggins died 20 years ago on Dec. 5, 1989. He was only 62.

Although we never met, Huggins has been my favorite historian for 30
years, ever since I read his Black Odyssey: the African American
Ordeal in Slavery. I was fascinated by the way he wrote about the
Africans who arrived on these shores in chains, not mainly as victims
but as human beings with both the need and the power within them to
create themselves anew in a new and strange environment.

That book helped me define the responsibility of the revolutionary
historian at a time when I was creating my own identity (which I am
still doing) as a revolutionary theoretician and activist. It helped
me clarify that history is not the facts or events that happened in
the past. It is the stories we tell ourselves and others about the
past. In telling these stories, a historian, who is committed to
creating a new future, opens our hearts and minds to how human beings
have shaped their reality in the past and can therefore shape their
reality in the future.

Moreover, the human beings whose stories they tell are not only “the
masses” or “social forces” like workers, blacks, women, who are the
heroes of Marxist-Leninist historians. The revolutionary historian
also tells us about the individuals who, emerging from these social
forces, become leaders because they model or project a vision of the
newly possible.

Thus out of all the thousands of runaway slaves who sought Freedom in
the North before and during the Civil War, Frederick Bailey was the
one who became a leader. Reinventing himself as Frederick Douglass, he
challenged Abraham Lincoln, the politician, to go beyond just “Saving
the Union” to abolishing slavery as the only way to redeem his own
soul and the soul of the nation. In making this challenge Douglass
transformed himself into the kind of leader and citizen that we need
today in the age of Obama.

My Sept. 3 column, “Learning from Black History “ was inspired by
Huggins’ little book, Slave and Citizen: The Life of Frederick
Douglass.

In 1986 Huggins again assumed the responsibilities of a revolutionary
historian when he chided the Black intellectuals at the Symposium
convened in Washington, D.C., to explore how to celebrate the
recently- established Martin Luther King Jr. national holiday.
Troubled by the inability of earlier speakers to go beyond class and
race analysis and grapple with MLK’s universal message of Love,
Huggins tore up his prepared speech and spoke off the cuff.

The next year Huggins explained his intervention in a Journal of
American History article. “While it is necessary to be cautious lest
we surrender to hero worship,” he wrote, “we have to focus on the man
because he gives us a lens through which to see the larger picture.”
(The article, entitled “Martin Luther King Jr.: Charisma and
Leadership” is reprinted in Revelations, essays posthumously compiled
by Huggins’ widow Brenda Smith Huggins, Oxford University Press,
1995).

In his remarks at the 1986 Symposium Huggins also referred to Malcolm
X as a charismatic leader although he did not describe the “larger
picture” for which Malcolm provided a lens.

Since then, as the number of cons and ex-cons has soared because
automation has made millions of young people expendable, we can
recognize Malcolm, the transformed and transforming ex-con, as the
forerunner of a new generation of ex-con leaders who are emerging from
those whom Jimmy Boggs called “outsiders.”

Among them are Carl Upchurch, author of Convicted in the Womb who
convened the historic Kansas city Gang Summit in 1993, and Yusef
Shakur, author of Window 2 my Soul, who is active in the Peace Zones
for Life/City of Hope movement in Detroit and trying to bring the
neighbor back into his Detroit ‘hood.