This still looks to me like a turkey shoot for profits that the
private equity and hedge fund supergroups will get to enjoy. AIG and
Citigroup are DEAD. The only question is how to keep foreign vultures
out of the remains.
As I said before, all those 'non-bank financial entities' can buy up,
sell off, hold, make profits from ANYTHING, including retail banks. So
big deal if a handful of large retail banks/bank holding companies
can't invest in private equity and hedge funds. Looks like the US is
set to trash the very things they used to be pushing for through the
WTO. Just like they abandoned 'free trade' in telecommunications after
it was found out that Enron's telecommunications arm did nothing but
bankrupt the otherwise profitable--but criminal--company.

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/yearning-for-glass-steagall-on-capitol-hill/

While a majority of problems that occurred centered mostly on the
pure-play investment banks like Lehman Brothers, the huge banks born
out of the revocation of Glass-Steagall, especially Citigroup, and the
insurance companies that were allowed to deal in securities, like the
American International Group, might not have run into so much trouble
had the law still been in place.

In December, Senator John McCain, Republican of Arizona, and Senator
Maria Cantwell, Democrat of Washington, jointly introduced a bill that
would bring back Glass-Steagall and force commercial banks to split
off their lucrative, but risky, investment banking operations from
their government-insured depository banking business. The bill was
gaining traction in the Senate, racking up several co-sponsors. Still,
it had yet to be attached to the larger financial regulatory bill set
to be debated in the coming months.

But the Volcker Rule seems to have usurped attempts to bring back to
Glass-Steagall. The president’s proposal, announced Thursday, would
ban bank holding companies from owning, investing in or sponsoring
hedge funds or private equity funds and from engaging in proprietary
trading, or trading on their own accounts, as opposed to the money of
their customers.

Mr. Obama has called the ban the Volcker Rule, in recognition of his
outside adviser, Paul A. Volcker, the former Federal Reserve chairman,
who has championed the proposal.

In light of Mr. Obama’s proposal, Ms. Cantwell applauded the president
for his efforts, but she remained by her bill.

“I still support our legislation because I think it is a cleaner
simpler way to get at the problem, so that would be my preference,”
Ms. Cantwell told DealBook. “We’ll see what the president’s language
is in specific, because I think the details matter here.”

Under the Volcker Rule, for example, Bank of America would still be
able to keep Merrill Lynch’s brokerage services and investment banking
units. But if Glass-Steagall were to return, Bank of America would
need to sell virtually all of Merrill Lynch and return to being just a
retail bank.

That major change is too much for some lawmakers to swallow,
especially after the government helped orchestrate Bank of America’s
acquisition of Merrill Lynch in the first place in 2009 — not to
mention JPMorgan Chase’s takeover of Bear Stearns earlier in the year.

“I think introducing Glass-Steagall now across the board in a weak
economy would be counterproductive because you would force sales and
the like,” said Representative Barney Frank of Massachusetts, the
Democratic chairman of the House Financial Services Committee and a
supporter of the president’s plan. “And I think people have
exaggerated the importance of Glass-Steagall in this crisis as it
wasn’t the main source of problem for Lehman Brothers or A.I.G.”

Mr. Frank told DealBook that the current financial regulatory bill he
introduced in the House already had a provision that would give
regulators the power to break up banks along the lines of
Glass-Steagall if they felt the institution was seen as a major risk
to the financial system. The provision was introduced in a contentious
amendment submitted by Representative Paul E. Kanjorski, Democrat of
Pennsylvania. It was attached to the bill after passing a party-line
vote in the House Financial Services Committee, with all the
Republicans voting against the provision.

The Volcker Rule, Mr. Frank said, goes beyond the Kanjorski amendment
by splitting off parts of the banks so that “other administrations
couldn’t undue” the separation without passing a new law. Mr. Frank
says he and his counterpart in the Senate, Christopher J. Dodd of
Connecticut, the Democratic chairman of the Senate Banking Committee,
both support the Volcker Rule and would be introducing it in both of
their versions of the financial regulatory overhaul bill.

Several senators and representatives on both sides of the aisle are
calling for hearings on the president’s proposal before it is attached
to either versions of the bill, including Senator Richard C. Shelby,
the ranking Republican on the Senate Banking Committee, and Senator
Tim Johnson, Democrat of South Dakota, who said in a statement that he
hoped “the banking committee is able to examine the issue soon.”

But debate in the House and Senate committees could water down the
bill’s impact on the banks, but it could also toughen the bill up to
look a bit more like Glass-Steagall. Senator Byron Dorgan, Democrat of
North Dakota, praised the president’s proposal but said that it
doesn’t go far enough in addressing the problem of banks too big to
fail.

“The Volcker Rule is important to do, but that is not the end point at
all,” Mr. Dorgan said, “Should we do more? Absolutely. The other piece
of this is that we have to recognize that putting F.D.I.C.-insured
banks with investment banks in big holding companies was the wrong
thing to do.”

Meanwhile, Senator Ted Kaufman, Democrat of Delaware and one of the
co-sponsors of the McCain-Cantwell bill, told DealBook that the
Volcker Rule and reinstating Glass-Steagall were “two sides of the
same coin.”

“We simply must ensure taxpayers never again bail out major banks
engaged in risky trading activities, and we must deal with the ‘too
big to fail’ problem,” Mr. Kaufman said. “Both ideas share those
objectives.”

How those objectives will be attained is the multibillion-dollar
question. The Democrats control both the House and Senate committees
and could pass through a tougher Volcker Rule if they wish.

While the Democrats may have lost their super-majority of 60 in the
Senate this week, the Republicans would need to filibuster the entire
financial regulatory reform bill to prevent the Volcker Rule from
going into effect. While such a feat could be attained in the debate
over health care, it could prove far more difficult to justify given
the bipartisan populist anger at Wall Street, especially in an
election year.

– Cyrus Sanati

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2010/jan2010/obam-j22.shtml

Obama’s phony bank-bashing was for public consumption. Next Tuesday,
Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, who as president of the Federal
Reserve Bank of New York played a key role in the bank bailout, will
meet behind closed doors with more than 40 chief executives of
financial institutions to reassure them and give them the real dope on
Obama’s proposals.

http://blogs.news.sky.com/kleinman/Post:e919ee6b-64a7-4352-bebc-47644b3e2a72

"In the coming weeks, the President will continue to work closely with
Chairman Dodd and others to craft a strong, comprehensive financial
reform bill that puts in place common sense rules of the road and
robust safeguards for the benefit of consumers, closes loopholes, and
ends the mentality of "Too Big to Fail"."

These are hugely significant words, but what do they mean for British
banks? Well, under the Obama proposals it's not clear that the likes
of Barclays and Royal Bank of Scotland would be affected too harshly
if they were to be enacted on a US-only basis.

Where it gets ominous for the UK banks is the prospect of a
Conservative government, which would be far more likely to implement
these Obama-led proposals.

George Osborne, the shadow chancellor, said in a statement tonight:
"This is a welcome move by President Obama that accords very much with
our thinking. I have said consistently that we should look at
separating retail banking from activities like large scale propriety
trading - and that this was best done internationally. Coming on top
of growing agreement on a bank levy, it shows that Conservatives are
part of an emerging international consensus on these issues."

Of course, there's a big difference between being in opposition and
being in government, but even so, it's pretty clear that the Tories'
enthusiasm about such a separation of retail and investment banking
could well gain traction.

That's not to say that it would happen anytime soon. The Tories have
committed to scrapping the Financial Services Authority and folding
its responsibilities into the Bank of England - needless to say, that
would be a vast undertaking, and attempting to oversee at the same
time the separation of banking activities would in the views of many
seasoned practitioners be regulatory suicide.

And if they did attempt it, then there would be an immediate and
aggressive response from Britain's major banks, some of which would no
doubt attempt to move overseas.