I wonder if young Zinn was as enthusiastically pro-zionist as the
young Chomsky (who quickly got bored with it apparently).

http://middleeast.about.com/b/2010/01/27/howard-zinn-oliver-stone-of-historians-had-questioned-israels-purpose.htm

"It was only after the 'Six-Day War' of 1967 and Israel's occupation
of territories seized in that war (the West Bank, the Gaza Strip, the
Golan Heights, the Sinai peninsula)," Zinn wrote, with clever quote
marks around the biblically-anoited "six-day war") "that I began to
see Israel not simply as a beleaguered little nation surrounded by
hostile Arab states, but as an expansionist power." He went on:

    True, Israel's claim of "security," given its geographical
position, seemed to have more substance than the one made by the U.S.
government, but it seemed clear to me that the occupation and
subjugation of several million Palestinians in the occupied
territories did not enhance Israel's security but endangered it.

    I was reinforced in my view during a spirited discussion of the
Israel-Palestine conflict I was having with my large lecture class at
Boston University. A number of Jewish students were fervently
defending the Occupation, whereupon two young women who had been
silent up to that point rose, one after the other, to say something
like the following: "We are from Israel. We served in the Israeli
army. We want to say to you who love Israel that the occupation of the
West Bank and Gaza will lead to the destruction of Israel, if not
physically, then morally and spiritually."

That's now a pretty conventional view, at least among liberals and
centrists in Israel, as Likudists continue the illusion of considering
the West Bank their "Judea" and "Samaria." He goes on:

    I have for a long time considered the nation-state as an
abomination of our time--national pride leading to national hatred,
leading to war. It always seemed to me that Jews, without a national
territory, were a humanizing influence in the world. The charge
against them by Stalin, that Jews were "cosmopolitans" was exactly
what I thought the great virtue of Jews.
    Of course, there is no turning back the clock and it may be that
an independent Palestine alongside an independent Jewish state is the
best interim solution, but since the poison of nationalism will
undoubtedly infect both states, the ideal of a democratic, secular
community of Jews and Palestinians should remain a goal of all who
desire lasting peace and justice.

Not, sadly, in his lifetime. Zinn died today in California of a heart
attack. He was 87.

http://dissidentvoice.org/2010/01/marvelous-victories-5-lessons-from-the-late-great-howard-zinn/

dan e said on January 29th, 2010 at 12:04pm #

Zinn does deserve high praise for his work and is definitely worth
reading. However.
Long before Zinn came to prominence I’d encountered most of the
history he reports in the works of earlier writers like WEB Dubois,
Herbert Aptheker, Philip and Eric Foner, Charles & Mary Beard and
others. Also I notice Zinn associated himself closely with the
“semi-progressive” strain in recent US “left” politics, people like
Amy Goodman & the “Z” publishing empire.
In my mind, there’s a parallel between the Great Man roles of Zinn and
Noam Chomsky. Both are undoubtedly great writers, persons of great
achievement, major figures on the US Left. But in Chomsky’s case also,
before he came along I’d encountered the main facts about the “Isreal”
problem in works by other writers such as Ralph Schoenman, Ibrahim
Abu-Lughod, Rabbi Elmer Berger, Israel Shahak, Lenni Brenner, Rashid
Khalidi, Jeff Blankfort, Livia Rokach, Hilton Obenzinger, just to name
a few.