On 3/8/10, Ralph Dumain

 A Western Marxist, however untouched by or liberated from the
> deadening influence of Soviet Marxism, can barely apprehend the weight
> of the strangulating atmosphere of Soviet mental life as Mamardashvili
> characterizes it.

^^^^
CB; Depends on how much the Western Marxist intellectual in the US is
a Leninist, and involved in party work, radical political work.  The
repression of many US Marxists in McCarthyism , but even before and
after, is not incomparable to the repression of some in the SU.

In the US, the repression is rendering through unemployment,
joblessness, careerlessness; denial of publishing, black listing.

Witness the treatment of for example, Paul Robeson, the Hollywood Ten,
dozens or hundreds of university and college professors and graduate
students.

There are significant stories of intellectual loneliness in the US.
There are lots of pseudonyms (smile)

^^^^

^^^^