What makes me think these two jokers (Negri and Hardt) went back to
1993 in order to find sufficient inspiration to finish off their
3-book contract with Harvard Univ. Press?  Their sustained line of
thought and argument is now FINISHED. Onwards to the commonwealth.
Pres. Obama is the messiah. The commonwealth utopia is in sight, even
if we can not grasp its essence yet, since that essence is an essence
of not becoming, whatsoever it is not, not yet. When I first read
'Empire' I thought it was a silly response to Deleuze and Guattari
(who had written a bestseller in Europe--one of those books everyone
bought but no one read) and to Lyotard and Baurdrillard (who were
anything but utopists but got a lot more press than Negri). Only now
do I grasp the overall Agambenian arch here.

http://www.egs.edu/faculty/giorgio-agamben/biography/

In The Coming Community (1993) Agamben develops the concept of
community and the social implications of his philosophical thought.
Agamben's exploration is, in part, a contemporary response to the work
of Heidegger, Wittgenstein, Blanchot, Jean-Luc Nancy, and, more
historically, Plato, Spinoza, and medieval scholars and theorists of
Judeo-Christian scriptures.

    "The Coming Community tries to designate a community beyond any
conception available under this name; not a community of essence, a
being-together of existences; that is to say: precisely what political
as well as religious identities can no longer grasp. Nothing less."
    Jean-Luc Nancy

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/HARCOM.html

 Commonwealth
Michael Hardt
Antonio Negri

      When Empire appeared in 2000, it defined the political and
economic challenges of the era of globalization and, thrillingly,
found in them possibilities for new and more democratic forms of
social organization. Now, with Commonwealth, Michael Hardt and Antonio
Negri conclude the trilogy begun with Empire and continued in
Multitude, proposing an ethics of freedom for living in our common
world and articulating a possible constitution for our common wealth.

      Drawing on scenarios from around the globe and elucidating the
themes that unite them, Hardt and Negri focus on the logic of
institutions and the models of governance adequate to our
understanding of a global commonwealth. They argue for the idea of the
“common” to replace the opposition of private and public and the
politics predicated on that opposition. Ultimately, they articulate
the theoretical bases for what they call “governing the revolution.”

      Though this book functions as an extension and a completion of a
sustained line of Hardt and Negri’s thought, it also stands alone and
is entirely accessible to readers who are not familiar with the
previous works. It is certain to appeal to, challenge, and enrich the
thinking of anyone interested in questions of politics and
globalization.

--

CJ

Japan Higher Education Outlook