"Quality and Quantity and Contradiction.

Stalin argues that qualitative changes occur "not accidentally but as the
natural result of an accumulation of imperceptible and gradual quantitative
changes."11 We should note that this is only one aspect of this category of
 dialectical logic. It is the more "commonsensical" side of the problem.
The more  difficult question is how, concretely, do different quantities of
the same thing  change the quality of it, or why is it that a phenomenon is
something other than  its constituent parts taken separately. For instance, a
thousand soldiers  fighting together on a battlefield constitute
qualitatively something different  from a thousand fighting separately. Common
sense
tells us it is concentration  that makes the difference. Yet a thousand
soldiers fighting separately,  scattered throughout the countryside, can
sometimes
be more effective than a  thousand in concentration. As we can see, it is
an aspect of dialectics that is  not only complex, but forces us to recognize
the unity of the two sides. Yet in  Stalin the quality quantity process
becomes more one of causality. Small  incremental changes in abstract quantity
create large qualitative leaps. There  is no room for how these new
qualities affect the quantity. There is no  appreciation of the reciprocal
relation
of the philosophy of praxis
(Marxism  — ed.) quality is also connected to quantity and this connection
is perhaps its  most fertile contribution."

Comment

I am in overdrive conditioned to do 12 hours work with a couple of break
and a lunch period.

The above is why I hate and remain anti-philosophy. We are not going  to
hide behind philosophic concepts and mumbo jumbo.. Allow me to get the heart
of the issue of Quality and Quantity and Contradiction.

Here is the question posed by the author: "The more difficult question is
how, concretely, do different quantities of the same thing change the
quality of  it, or why is it that a phenomenon is something other than its
constituent parts  taken separately."

In this authors critique of Stalin’s "Dialectical and Historical
Materialism" he adopts the exact same underlying thinking of Stalin and
presents  the
same conclusion in  different words. The question "how concretely do
different quantities of the same thing change the quality of it," means you
have
not solved the equation.  This is the wrong question.

Here is the equation: the introduction of a new quality, - incrementally or
 quantitatively, into an existing process (quality/quantity), begins the
quantitatively change - alteration, of the old quality. At a certain stage in
 the accumulation of the new quality, the old process or old quality begins
the  process of breaking down, and is forces to leap to a new qualitative
definition.  How this takes place is pretty easy for the workers to grasp.

Once you introduce a new quality into a process and it begins quantitative
expansion or receives more inputs or additions of the new quality, the
process  halts development and expansion on the old basis. This is so because
the process  now evolves and develops with the new quality within it.

In society, specifically a historically distinct social system (mode of
production), more of the same or a quantitative increase of the same thing
cannot produce a qualitative leap or compel society to change qualitatively.
The  industrial revolution, inaugurated by the steam engine, was a new
quality that  brought the expansion of manufacturing to an end as it grew
quantitatively on  the old basis of the old technology. Not all at what time,
but
all the related  clusters of technology associated with the underlying
principles of the steam  engine came into play quantitatively..

Now the process of quantitative injection of a new quality - the steam
engine and related cluster of technology ( the mechanical flywheel, and
electro-mechanical transfer bars and levers that Marx spends an inordinate
amount
of time writing about in Capital 1 dealing with machinery) contains its
own law of development or dialectic. That is to say, the quantitative growth
and  expansion of the new quality - that has been injected into the old
process -  quality, meets resistance in the old means of production. This is so
because the  ld process - quality, is in fact a different quality and
configured based on  different principles of operation. The path of the
quantitative growth and  evolution of the new quality is a distinct process
within
itself that is  interesting and exciting but carries us away from the main
point.  We have  discussed this on this list as the law of emergence.

A quantitative increase does not lead to qualitative change as such. This
is how it is explained to the workers. To change something you make take
something away or add something new to a process or situation. The reason why
is  because a process is really a coherent system of events. A system is a
combination of parts making up a whole thing. If you increase all the same
parts  of the system then you end up with a big fucking system. Nothing
changes.  However, if you subject or add a new qualitative into an existing
system you  begin its qualitative alteration.

How to say all of this is a 50 page glossary with 50 - 60 terms is an art.
A professional editor, preferably one who is Marxist is needed.

Now, in respects to Stalin’s dialectical and historical materialism,
written 72 years ago in a still peasant country by an individual that had   a
peasant like mind, (revolutionary to the highest degree and extremely advanced
for 1938, but speaking to a proletariat that was peasants ten years ago,)
this  booklet has it place in history. My thing is the critics adopt the
exact same  method and a nigga like me is not supposed  to know when Fred is
saying the  same thing as Ed.

Man, I need the critical and a level of ruthless intellectual passion
unbounded.