OK Ralph, you hit the nail on the head exactly. n the purpose of holding
classes on revolutionary history and experience if you will, a need for basic
 definitions of terms arose. This class was filled with people between 15
years  old and 30. Three of us older comrades anchored the educational with
internally  cohesive presentations due to having worked together for 30 years
and more.

Then another group of mostly older workers came together to study the
current situation and what to do about things in and out of the union. This
group could no advance without discussing history. Half of the group  was
familiar with Marx the other half never heard of him.

Then another group of workers started meeting around the health care issue.
 This group jumped from 5 - 9 people to any average low of 30 people. All
these  different groups are devoid of any history about anything. Zero,
nothing.

For instance no one in any group possess any understanding of the  Soviet
Union or what it was other than a hazy concept of taking from one person  and
giving to the other, and this is amongst the older workers only. Here is
why  I felt no impulse to explain communism from the Soviet experience.  Why?
There is no incentive to wade  through various  interpretations of Soviet
history.

All of these group come together to fight and resist the system as opposed
to a perception of injustice against "someone else."

My tendency was to totally exclude "historical arguments." For instance
there is not index called "permanent revolution." There is an outline of the
Soviet Union, but nothing on the Stalin period because it serves no purpose.

I am under no illusion about this project.

I agree one cannot explain a concept like dialectics in a glossary.

What is being fought for is ideology rather than theory. That is the   . .
., well, contradiction. No one can advance without an understanding of
general aspects of American history.  The fascist are cloaking themselves  in
the ideology of the Constitution and concepts of political democracy exactly
as the Slave oligarchy did. We - us boyz and girls in Detroit who have been
together a very long time,  have no intention of desire to "fight the
right." Rather, we our fighting or ass off to organize and then win a section
of
 the proletariat in motion to an ideological stance and general vision of
society  we are calling a "Marxist lens."

Hence the agi-prop character and heavy ideology of concepts.

We have to do something.

WL.

In a message dated 3/24/2010 6:49:36 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
_rdum...@autodidactproject.org_ (mailto:rdum...@autodidactproject.org)
writes:

It's really essential to define the purpose of this project, its audience,
and the degree of erudition that it should exhibit. If it is to exhibit the
 perspective of a specific tendency, then perhaps a textbook or handbook
might be  a better format than a glossary. I could be wrong, but "glossary" to
me sounds  more abbreviated than "dictionary", which is more abbreviated
than an  "encyclopedia". You can't explain concepts like dialectic in a
glossary. At  most, you could list a number of possible definitions. And
depending
on what you  think your audience needs to know, applied to what texts or
analyses, why do you  think certain terms belong or not in your glossary. But
ultimately, the why of  all this must be nailed down first.

And then there's the question of the Internet. Young people who won't go to
 the library to read books, which here are being purged from branch
libraries in  favor of computers, but they'll go to surf the net. They would
rather
cruise  dating sites and watch movies than educate themselves, but if
anyone maintains  the curiosity to look at your glossary, they could go to the
Internet, click on  designated URLs to learn more.

_http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm_
(http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm)