I remember--it was actually about the same time Ayn Rand was making
her last tour of universities--when Hofstadter visited my provincial
podunk university, hawking his book. I recently just sold an
autographed copy of the trade paperback (it didn't go for much but
perhaps a hardback would be worth more?).

 GEB is one of those books that must have sold hundreds of thousands
of copies and got read by dozens of people, with the author then
proclaiming most people didn't understand what he was trying to say. I
don't think that happens too often because for whatever reasons most
people never get their collection of confused ideas into print form
backed by a commercial publisher. Hofstadter did.

I remember after his talk one philosophy professor getting
enthusiastic that GEB was on the verge of an explanation of human
consciousness--and of course it had to involve formal logics. He was
the same guy who was sure Chomsky was close on an explanation of human
language--and of course it had to involve formal logics. Also an
interesting conversation I recall at the time of the lecture was a
professor's wife--the dean's wife maybe--remarking that Hofstatdter
himself showed the value of a an education in the 'humanities', to
which the author replied, something like, "Oh no, not at all. My
education is in hard science." I think I made a comment to myself: yet
note how it's just we humanities types who got suckered into coming to
this lecture.

The pure concentrated thesis that he never got around to stating very
clearly in GEB is: we are conscious because we are strange loops.

As an aside here, maybe my take on human consciousness has no value
whatsoever, but my perspective is one that most people can not get:
I'm an identical twin. And I always used to think that, even if I'm an
exact genetic copy, we are not physically identical, not really. But
what separated me from my brother is simply that I can not experience
his being, his body, his life (unless ESP were possible, and nothing I
ever thought or did made me think it was). That doesn't mean I thought
that he and I have different souls. Rather, I always thought that even
the simplest physical differences in the two copies helped bring this
about. But later I thought --and still do--that even if the genes were
the same and even if we were completely the same physically, we still
couldn't experience each other's lives. Even if we were side by side,
we weren't occupying the same space.

But maybe this is attempting to contemplate an impossiblity. In the
real world, we will always be different realizations, and different
lived experiences, and different memories of those lived experiences
adding to those lived experiences so long as life goes on. Oh, and
even if DH is a significant thinker about such matters, I never did
find his writing very interesting to read. Perhaps GEB really needed
an editor that understood the author more? Or perhaps I ought to delve
into his later stuff, now that he no longer sells hundreds of
thousands of unread copies and he has stuck with 'cognitive science'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Hofstadter

Hofstadter's thesis about consciousness, first expressed in GEB but
also present in several of his later books, is that it is an emergent
consequence of seething lower-level activity in the brain. In GEB  he
draws an analogy between the social organization of a colony of ants
and the mind seen as a coherent "colony" of neurons. In particular,
Hofstadter claims that our sense of having (or being) an "I" comes
from the abstract pattern he terms a "strange loop", which is an
abstract cousin of such concrete phenomena as audio and video
feedback, and which Hofstadter has defined as "a level-crossing
feedback loop". The prototypical example of this abstract notion is
the self-referential structure at the core of Gödel's incompleteness
theorems. Hofstadter's 2007 book I Am a Strange Loop carries his
vision of consciousness considerably further, including the idea that
each human "I" is distributed over numerous brains, rather than being
limited to precisely one brain.[20]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_a_Strange_Loop

I Am a Strange Loop
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
I Am A Strange Loop
Strageloop.jpg
Author  Douglas Hofstadter
Country         USA
Language        English
Subject(s)      Consciousness, strange loops, intelligence
Publisher       Basic Books
Publication date        March 26th, 2007
Media type      Hardback
Pages   412 pages
ISBN    978-0465030781
OCLC Number     64554976
LC Classification       BD438.5 .H64 2007
Preceded by     Gödel, Escher, Bach

I Am a Strange Loop is a 2007 book by Douglas Hofstadter, examining in
depth the concept of a strange loop originally developed in his 1979
book Gödel, Escher, Bach.
“       In the end, we self-perceiving, self-inventing, locked-in mirages
are little miracles of self-reference.  ”

— Douglas Hofstadter, I Am a Strange Loop p.363

Hofstadter had previously expressed disappointment with how Gödel,
Escher, Bach, which won the Pulitzer Prize in 1979 for general
nonfiction, was received. In the preface to the twentieth-anniversary
edition, Hofstadter laments that his book has been misperceived as a
hodge-podge of neat things with no central theme. He states: "GEB is a
very personal attempt to say how it is that animate beings can come
out of inanimate matter. What is a self, and how can a self come out
of stuff that is as selfless as a stone or a puddle?"[1]

He sought to remedy this problem in I Am a Strange Loop, by focusing
on and expounding upon the central message of Gödel, Escher, Bach. He
seeks to demonstrate how the properties of self-referential systems,
demonstrated most famously in Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem, can be
used to describe the unique properties of minds.[2][3]

As an exploration of the concept of "self", Hofstadter explores his
own life, and those he has been close to.[4

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.03/play.html?pg=3

WIRED: How is your new book different from Gödel, which touched on
physics, genetics, mathematics, and computer science?

HOFSTADTER: This time I’m only trying to figure out “What am I?”

Well, given the book’s title, you seem to have found out. But what is
a strange loop?

One good prototype is the Escher drawing of two hands sketching each
other. A more abstract one is the sentence I am lying. Such loops are,
I think anyone would agree, strange. They seem paradoxical and even
strike some people as dangerous. I argue that such a strange loop,
paradoxical or not, is at the core of each human being. It is an
abstract pattern that gives each of us an “I,” or, if you don’t mind
the term, a soul.

Does this insight increase your understanding of yourself?

Of course. I believe that a soul is an abstract pattern, and we can
therefore internalize in our brain the souls of other people.

You have a great line: “I am a mirage that perceives itself.” If our
fundamental sense of what is real — our own existence — is merely a
self-reinforcing mirage, does that call into question the reality of
the universe itself?

I don’t think so. Even though subatomic particles engage in a deeply
recursive process called renormalization, they don’t contain a
self-model, and everything I talk about in this book — consciousness —
derives from a self-model.

Strange Loop describes the soul as a self-model that is very weak in
insects and stronger in mammals. What happens when machines have very
large souls?

It’s a continuum, and a strange loop can arise in any substrate.

Thinking about different sizes of souls led you to vegetarianism.
Would you hesitate to turn off the small soul of Stanley, the
autonomous robot that found its way across the desert during the Darpa
Grand Challenge?

Why not? Stanley doesn’t have a model of itself of any significance,
let alone a persistent self-image built up over time. Unlike you and
I, Stanley is no strange loop.

What if Stanley had as much self-awareness as a chicken?

Then I wouldn’t eat it, just as I wouldn’t eat a chicken.

In Loop, you shy away from speculating about the souls or the
intelligence of computers, yet you’ve been working in AI for 30 years.

I avoid speculating about futuristic sci-fi AI scenarios, because I
don’t think they respect the complexity of what we are thanks to
evolution.

But isn’t your research all about trying to bring about such scenarios?

Thirty years ago, I didn’t distinguish between modeling the human mind
and making smarter machines. After I realized this crucial difference,
I focused exclusively on using computer models to try to understand
the human mind. I no longer think of myself as an AI researcher but as
a cognitive scientist.

One of the attractions of your writing is the wordplay, a fascination
with the kind of recursions that appeal to programmers and nerds.

It is ironic because my whole life I have felt uncomfortable with the
nerd culture that centers on computers. I always hope my writings will
resonate with people who love literature, art, and music. But instead,
a large fraction of my audience seems to be those who are fascinated
by technology and who assume that I am, too.