On 4/14/10, Ralph Dumain <rdum...@autodidactproject.org> wrote:
> Syntactic ambiguity or ineptitude on my part. I meant:
>
>  . . . nor is attempting to deny Marx's materialism necessary in
> order to develop the concept of praxis.

^^^^^^^
CB: Yes.

Do you derive "praxis" from Marx's phrase "practical-critical
activity" in the first Thesis on Feuerbach ?

"The chief defect of all hitherto existing materialism – that of
Feuerbach included – is that the thing, reality, sensuousness, is
conceived only in the form of the object or of contemplation, but not
as sensuous human activity, practice, not subjectively. Hence, in
contradistinction to materialism, the active side was developed
abstractly by idealism – which, of course, does not know real,
sensuous activity as such.

Feuerbach wants sensuous objects, really distinct from the thought
objects, but he does not conceive human activity itself as objective
activity. Hence, in The Essence of Christianity, he regards the
theoretical attitude as the only genuinely human attitude, while
practice is conceived and fixed only in its dirty-judaical
manifestation. Hence he does not grasp the significance of
“revolutionary”, of “practical-critical”, activity. "

^^^^^^^