And Mahathir turned out to be right. He also btw was the leader who
specifically warned about terror plots to fly a plane into
skyscrapers--because of a plot uncovered in SE Asia that was supposed
to target what was then the tallest structure in the world, Petronas
Towers.

All this stuff here is interesting because we see all these Clinton
weasels defending currency shorts run by large hedge funds that are
well connected to the SE Asian markets (a lot of these foreign
financiers created the financial markets in HK, Singapore, Manila, KL,
Jakarta, Bangkok). Like Rubin, which makes you think of his successor,
Summers, who is now in the Goldman Sachs Obama White House.

If a normal person wanted to 'bet against' the value of a currency he
might buy gold or another currency. However, what Soros specialized in
was taking huge sums of investors's money, gearing it (using it to
borrow even more money), and put it into instruments designed to
'short' a targeted currency. Borrowing huge amounts of money (gearing
way beyond base capital) in order to short anything is a "feedback
mechanism" (to use a Soros' term)   that is sure to create financial
panics. That is what Soros did. That is what the Paulson guy did with
G-S helping him. That is what the 'heroes' of Michael Lewis' book did.
A interesting aspect of Soros' and others currency speculations is
that it all seems to have re-inforced the idea that governments should
never raise interest rates because this leads to 'over-valuation' of
the currency which then leads to crises like the British pound crash
in the early 1990s and the Asian crisis of 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros

>>In 1988, he was asked to join a takeover  attempt of the French bank Société
>>Générale. He declined to participate in the bid but did later buy a number of
>>shares in the company. French authorities began an investigation in 1989, and
>>in 2002 a French court ruled that it was insider trading, a felony conviction
>>as defined under French securities laws, and fined him $2.3 million, which
>>was the amount that he made using the insider information.

Punitive damages were not sought because of the delay in bringing the
case to trial. Soros denied any wrongdoing and said news of the
takeover was public knowledge.[25]

His insider trading conviction was upheld by the highest court in
France on June 14, 2006.[26] In December, 2006 he appealed to the
European Court of Human Rights, claiming that the 14-year delay in
bringing the case to trial precluded a fair hearing.[27]<<

>>Currency speculation

On Black Wednesday (September 16, 1992), Soros's fund sold short more
than $10 billion worth of pounds sterling[citation needed], profiting
from the Bank of England's reluctance to either raise its interest
rates to levels comparable to those of other European Exchange Rate
Mechanism countries or to float its currency.

Finally, the Bank of England withdrew the currency from the European
Exchange Rate Mechanism, devaluing the pound sterling, and Soros
earned an estimated US$ 1.1 billion in the process. He was dubbed "the
man who broke the Bank of England." In 1997, the UK Treasury estimated
the cost of Black Wednesday at £3.4 billion.

The Times of Monday, October 26, 1992, quoted Soros as saying: "Our
total position by Black Wednesday had to be worth almost $10 billion.
We planned to sell more than that. In fact, when Norman Lamont said
just before the devaluation that he would borrow nearly $15 billion to
defend sterling, we were amused because that was about how much we
wanted to sell."

Stanley Druckenmiller, who traded under Soros, originally saw the
weakness in the pound. "Soros' contribution was pushing him to take a
gigantic position."[21][22]

In 1997, during the Asian financial crisis, then Malaysian Prime
Minister Mahathir bin Mohamad accused Soros of using the wealth under
his control to punish ASEAN for welcoming Myanmar as a member. Soros
has denied Mahathir's accusations. The nominal US dollar GDP of ASEAN
fell by US$9.2 billion in 1997 and $218.2 billion (31.7%) in 1998.<<

http://www.streetstories.com/gs_art_obrien.html

>>In early 1997, Soros' funds were shorting Thailand's currency, the baht, and
>>Malaysia's currency, the ringgit -- that is, betting that the value of both
>>currencies would drop. In July, Thailand dropped its defenses, devaluing the
>>baht. That set off the wave of devaluations in Malaysia and elsewhere that
>>marked the beginning of the current global economic turmoil.

Soros said that by the time of the devaluations, his funds had become
active buyers of the currencies, believing that they had already hit
bottom. But that did not shield him from withering accusations, mainly
from Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad of Malaysia.<<

http://bpms.moi.gov.my/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10402&Itemid=79

"I am saying that currency trading is unnecessary, unproductive and
immoral," Dr. Mahathir declared Saturday. "It should be stopped. It
should be made illegal."

Mr. Soros, who has disclaimed responsibility for Malaysia's
foreign-exchange woes, called Dr. Mahathir's suggestion "so
inappropriate that it does not deserve serious consideration" and the
prime minister himself "a menace to his own country."

"Interfering with the convertibility of capital at a moment like this
is a recipe for disaster," he said.

Drawn into the fracas by reporters, U.S. Treasury Secretary Robert
Rubin, a former currency trader himself, defended currency trading as
"integral to global trade in goods and services."

Dr. Mahathir also presented his theory that developed countries are
conspiring to keep developing nations in their place. "Quite a few
people who are in the media and in control of the big money seem to
want to see these Southeast Asian countries and, in particular
Malaysia, stop trying to catch up with their superiors and to know
their place," he said.

Their primary weapon, he said, is the international financial markets.
Dr. Mahathir distinguished between exchanging currency to finance
trade, which he welcomed, and "pure trade in currency as a commodity,"
which he condemned.

But Mr. Rubin said the two are intertwined. "Speculation is part of
the total activity in secondary markets," said Mr. Rubin. Exchanging
one currency for another is essential if countries are to trade with
each other, he argued. Speculators make a currency market larger and
more liquid, and that reduces the costs of trade. "It is the kind of
activity you need to do if you're going to have trade in goods."

Hedge funds, which can borrow and use financial derivatives to profit
from falling markets, have come under blistering criticism from people
like Prime Minister Mahathir for their supposed role in pushing the
currencies and stock markets of Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and the
Philippines, and the stock market of Hong Kong, into freefall.

Certainly the purely profit-oriented hedge funds had little loyalty to
these emerging markets. But politicians are invoking a double standard
on their activity, say some foreign-exchange executives.

"When things are good the countries want [the hedge funds' investment]
flows and take advantage of those flows to finance their growth," says
Eric Nickerson, managing director of foreign-exchange research at Bank
of America in Hong Kong. "But when things turn bad and these guys
leave, [the politicians] are not happy."

It's a pattern that has been repeated in currency crises ever since
the arrival of powerful new derivatives in the late 1980s, which
allowed traders to leverage their capital many times over and make
huge bets in financial markets. Derivatives are financial instruments
whose value is derived from an underlying asset, such as stocks and
commodities.

The new financing techniques have emboldened hedge funds to exploit
what they see as violations of basic economic laws: overvalued
currencies, poorly regulated banking systems and inappropriately high
or low interest rates. When hedge funds bet an overvalued currency
will return to its natural level, then use the bank credit to force
that change, the profits can be extraordinary. Of course, so can the
losses.

And the hedge funds aren't the only ones that speculate. Indeed, it
was none other than Malaysia's central bank that lost 10 billion
ringgit in 1992 (US$3.89 billion at the time), wrongly betting that
the English pound wouldn't be forced out of Europe's exchange-rate
mechanism. Mr. Soros has said his funds earned $1 billion taking the
opposite bet. Malaysia's government has since barred the central bank
from speculating in currencies.

In any event, hedge fund managers and analysts contend that even the
biggest of the funds, such as Quantum, simply aren't big enough to
move markets as much as the politicians claim they do, although they
may help initiate a trend. Mr. Druckenmiller says that almost by
definition a successful hedge fund can't use its size to force a
currency in one direction. "If your size drove it down, then when you
get out, your size would drive it back up."

Quantum took a short position in the forward market for the Thai baht
in January when a colleague laid out for Mr. Druckenmiller the
fundamentals of the Southeast Asian economies. (By selling forward,
the currency wouldn't have to be delivered until later). They
indicated that Thailand, which pegged its currency to a basket of
foreign currencies that was 80% dollars, was ripe for devaluation. The
ratio of loans to gross domestic product had gone from 65% to 135%
over an extraordinarily short period of time, and Mr. Druckenmiller
says he was convinced that once the economy started to slow, a
boom-bust cycle would begin that would require lower interest rates
and a lower currency.

"The speculators did not cause the extraordinary boom in loans [as a
percentage of] gross domestic product in Thailand [or] the incredible
boom in Malaysia," says Mr. Druckenmiller. "It was, in the end, the
excesses that the authorities allowed to continue that created the
boom-bust conditions for which they are now paying. If these
conditions had not been allowed to exist, speculators who bet on a
decline in their currencies would have lost money, as they probably
will in Hong Kong."

A vigorous defense by the Thai central bank propped up the exchange
rate and was followed by limited currency controls. But it became
obvious in May that the baht wouldn't hold and local companies, in a
repeat of nearly every earlier currency crisis around the world, began
selling their local currency for dollars.

"The locals lost confidence in their own currency," recalls a
hedge-fund executive in Singapore. "Whether they got tipped off that
the central bank was going to end the peg, or they just saw the
handwriting on the wall ... it was the same in Sweden, in Italy, in
Mexico."

The result was a one-way street jammed with investors fleeing the
baht. "In this region we had a market that was entirely
one-directional," says a foreign-exchange executive. "Normally when a
market starts to fall heavily, speculators will start to come in to
buy because they see value. But in this region, speculators didn't
come in at all because they knew things were screwed up."

Thailand devalued on July 2. In a matter of weeks the Philippines and
then Indonesia and Malaysia effectively floated their currencies. Yet
the circumstances of each were different, and none was led by hedge
funds, as in Thailand's case. In fact, some traders and hedge-fund
executives say U.S. hedge funds and investment banks lost money when
the Philippines devalued. Mr. Druckenmiller says Quantum was never
short, and is currently long in Indonesian rupiah.