La Opinion Calls for National Boycott of Arizona

La Opinion Editorial
April 24, 2010

http://news.pacificnews.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=985c78d066318e82c7477d75a0c87913

Espanol:
http://www.impre.com/laopinion/opinion/2010/4/24/diga-no-a-arizona-184974-1.html

An editorial in the Los Angeles Spanish-language daily
La Opinion calls for a national boycott of Arizona
after the governor signed the nation's toughest bill on
illegal immigration into law on Friday. The new law
makes it a misdemeanor to be undocumented, and requires
police to question people about their immigration
status if the police officers have "reasonable
suspicion" that they are in the country illegally.
While lawyers challenge the law's constitutionality in
the courts, editors of La Opinion call on U.S.
residents to take direct action by boycotting all goods
and services from Arizona.

We call on those who believe in the U.S. Constitution
to boycott the state of Arizona.

The anti-immigrant bill signed yesterday in Arizona is
a violation of our right to be free from police
harassment based on the way we look.

SB 1070 requires the police to question people about
their immigration status if they suspect they are in
the U.S. illegally, without any objective basis for
that suspicion. This gives free reign to racial
profiling and the discriminatory actions that will
ensue for being -or appearing to be- Latino.

The law is a violation of basic civil rights. It also
wrongfully asserts that states can set their own
immigration policy when that is the exclusive
jurisdiction of the federal government.

The Arizona law is based on inflammatory depictions of
the undocumented -repeated by Governor Jan Brewer when
she signed the executive order- to justify such a
repressive piece of legislation.

There are two ways to fight this law: one is in the
courts and the other is through direct action. As for
the first, lawyers will be filing lawsuits challenging
the law's constitutionality. The latter, direct action,
is a call to boycott the state of Arizona.

We express our outrage in the face of this abuse of
power. We call for a boycott of all goods and services
from Arizona and pledge to avoid tourism in the state
as well. Let's send a signal of our disgust with an
arrogant state government that asserts powers it does
not have in order to persecute a minority population.

In the name of protecting the people, this law puts the
public's safety in jeopardy. The undocumented will be
too afraid to report a crime for fear of being
deported. Police departments across the country (who
incidentally oppose this law) understand the need for
the public to have trust in authorities so they can
fulfill their mission.

Racial profiling is unacceptable. It is a serious
mistake to think that you can tell an undocumented
person by the way he or she looks. This law is a
product of ignorance and an act of irresponsibility.
Say "No" to Arizona.