Requiem for Detroit’

http://www.michigancitizen.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=77&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdetail=8580&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=1070&hn=michigancitizen&he=.com

-- 5/2/2010
By Grace Lee Boggs
Special to The Michigan Citizen

Requiem for Detroit aired March 13 on BBC2. But I didn’t view it until
last week when I received the DVD (with a thank you note) from Julien
Temple, the director, and George Hencken, the Films of Record
producer.

In 1960 Edward R. Murrow’s Harvest of Shame was a turning point in
American consciousness because it forced us to recognize that the food
we enjoy is picked by migrant agricultural workers living and working
under unspeakable conditions.

Requiem for Detroit can play a similar role in this period of
transition from an increasingly destructive industrial culture. The
documentary makes very clear that Detroit’s notorious devastation is
not a natural disaster but a man-made Katrina, the inevitable result
of illusions and contradictions in our insane 20th century pursuit of
unlimited economic growth. We witness auto workers reduced to robots
to produce Henry Ford’s Model Ts, and then struggling to reclaim their
humanity by sitdown strikes and battling Ford’s goons at the overpass.

We meet southern Blacks who relish the “freedom” of Northern cities
but also experience the racial tensions that exploded in 1943 and
1967.

Cars that grow the profits of the auto industry speed by on freeways
which destroy neighborhoods to provide escape routes to the suburbs.

Neighborhoods are turned into war zones as the drug trade replaces
jobs that have been exported overseas.

This documentary is the Odyssey of how a mode of production and
transportation, once celebrated as the height of human creativity,
morphed into a dehumanizing consumerism at the expense of human beings
and other living things.

A number of Detroiters, Black and white, comment throughout. But the
only named cast members are white-bearded John Sinclair, poet, former
MC5 manager and White Panther Party leader; Martha Reeves, Motown’s
earthy, gospel-infused singing star; Heidelberg Project community
artist Tyree Guyton; and me.

John Sinclair recalls the glories of the last century as he drives
through disintegrating neighborhoods. An exuberant Martha Reeves helps
us understand how the distinctive Motown sound emerged from the “this
is my country” euphoria of Blacks who had left behind them the
sharecropping and lynching culture of the South. Tyree Guyton explains
that he created the Heidelberg Project to depict the destruction of
his neighborhood. He also describes today’s rising hope as neither a
white or Black thing but “I” becoming “We.”

My closing comments make clear that the new American Dream emerging in
Detroit is a deeply-rooted spiritual and practical response to the
devastation and dehumanization created by the old dream. We yearn to
live more simply so that all of us and the Earth can simply live. This
more human dream began with African American elders, calling
themselves the Gardening Angels. Detroit’s vacant lots, they decided,
were not blight but heaven-sent spaces to plant community gardens,
both to grow our own food and to give urban youth the sense of
process, self-reliance and evolution that everyone needs to be human.

That’s why growing numbers of artists and young people are coming to
Detroit. They want to be part of building a Detroit-City of Hope that
grows our souls rather than our cars.

I hope Requiem for Detroit will be shown at the 2nd USSF meeting in
Detroit June 22-26 . It is the story behind the USSF mantra:

Another World is Necessary. Another World is Possible. Another World
is happening in Detroit!

Viewing it can help Detroit’s mainstream media become less shallow.

It can deepen the imagination of the new generation of media makers
attending the annual Allied Media Conference which precedes the USSF.

These young people need this deepened imagination to do justice to the
present escalating struggle between the Bings and Bobbs, scheming to
gentrify Detroit by closing down neighborhood schools, and grassroots
Detroiters who are organizing not only to save our schools but to
bring the neighbor back into the ‘hood by inventing new forms of
education that motivate schoolchildren to learn through
community-building activities.

For more about "Requiem for Detroit"

www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/mar/10/detroit-motor-city-urban-decline

www.filmsofrecord.com/content.php?id=138