JF:

> In Japan wasn't land reform imposed by the American
> occupation under MacArthur?

This is what I've read from all the standard sources (like
Reischauer). It seems to have created the Japanese equivalent of the
Republican-voting dairy farmer of the MidAtlantic US. They hold a few
rice paddies and vote for the conservative elements of what ever party
prevails--usually LDP but also Komeito.

> >From what I can see what's been going on in Thailand
> is a class struggle accompanied by a split in that
> country's ruling economic and political elites.
> Besides the billionaire entrepreneur they
> had at least one general (who was assasinated)
> and apparently at least some degree of support
> within the country's security forces.  When
> the government decided to suppress the
> red shirts, there were reports of clashes
> between different army and police units.

Yes, there was talk of a civil war, but I doubt it. I'm not even sure
who killed the general. You have to remember that any government organ
like security forces or military will draw heavily on the very sort of
people who will identify with the red shirts. Also, any successful
'national development state' will recruit and indoctrinate people
outside the current elite as the elite expands. So it would seem the
establishment was split on what to do about the protests. But if I'm
reading the situation right, the silence of the king means the
anti-red elements did what most of the establishment supported,
however reluctantly. In such a situation we see Thailand is not that
different from S. Korea or Taiwan in its authoritarian approaches to
dealing with dissent. I think another factor is unease over the
economy because Thailand suffered a lot in the 96-98 crisis and the
current global crisis looks to be still unfolding as a global crisis.

Another factor to consider is the Muslims in the south. Thaksin's
actions against them were brutal and creating far too much tension
with Malaysia and Indonesia.

CJ