The effect of Tea Party in Michigan may have been to give us the least
rightwing of the Republican primary candidates.

Charles

Right to Life unlikely to back Snyder
Group won't accept his support of embryonic stem cell research
Karen Bouffard / Detroit News Lansing Bureau
Lansing -- Right to Life of Michigan -- which helped boost Republican
John Engler into the governor's seat three times in the 1990s -- will
likely not endorse GOP nominee Rick Snyder in his November bid,
officials said Thursday.

Right to Life, which opposes abortion and embryonic stem cell
research, is traditionally a much-sought after endorsement for GOP
candidates. Its backing can give a boost through mailings, advertising
and pressing its more than half a million supporters to vote for one
candidate over another.

"If he maintains his position on embryonic research, I doubt (he will
be endorsed)," said Larry Galmish, Political Action Committee chairman
for Michigan Right to Life.

Snyder was the only one of the five GOP gubernatorial candidates in
the primary to support embryonic stem cell research. He opposes
abortion but would allow it in cases of rape or incest.

Galmish said the organization will try to convince Snyder to reverse
his position before the Right to Life board of directors decides the
issue in September.

Snyder campaign spokesman Jake Suski said the Ann Arbor businessman
won't change his position.

"Rick Snyder supports stem cell research -- he's made that clear,"
Suski said. "(Snyder) will not take any PAC or special interest money
and isn't seeking endorsement."

Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero, the Democratic gubernatorial nominee,
supports abortion rights and favors stem cell research.

Right to Life backed Attorney General Mike Cox for governor in the primary.

Impact on voter turnout
With voters more focused on jobs and the economy, some strategists say
anti-abortion supporters may sit out the November election because
they don't have a candidate they agree with in the governor's race.

"It seems that Snyder's strategy was to camp out in the middle, and
now that he's won the nomination he will have to consolidate the
Republican base," said Democratic strategist Jill Alper, with the
Dewey Square Group. "It's a bedrock issue for hardcore Republicans,
and it's a quandary for him potentially. They could not vote, or skip
the race.

"This could impact overall turnout, and in that regard it might be
helpful to Democratic candidates. It could impact Republican
candidates across the board if hard-right voters weren't turning out."

Republican voter Edmund Crawford of Kalkaska said he's against
abortion but wouldn't rule out a candidate who agrees with stem cell
research.

"Stem cell research has its good points and its bad points," said
Crawford, 78. "I don't look at it in the same way as I look at
abortion."

Bringing visibility
Right to Life rarely makes direct contributions to candidate
campaigns, but can bring significant visibility to candidates it
endorses, Galmish said. The group has about 620,000 supporters,
including 150,000 member-donors, he added.

"Our approach is to allow them to do mailings with our lists, and we
include our endorsed candidates in our newsletters and fliers right
before the elections," Galmish said, adding Right to Life also
sometimes does radio ads and telephone calls on behalf of endorsed
candidates.

Doug Koopman, a political science professor at Calvin College in Grand
Rapids, doesn't believe Right to Life can significantly affect the
race. West Michigan anti-abortion voters were solidly behind U.S. Rep.
Pete Hoekstra of Holland in the primary and were unhappy Right to Life
endorsed Cox, who in the past admitted he'd been unfaithful to his
wife. Anti-abortion forces will vote for who they want come November,
Koopman said.

Snyder can solidify his base by picking a lieutenant governor from
West Michigan who is against abortion, he added.

He said if any impact is felt, it will be on legislative and
congressional races.

"If Right to Life got in heavily for the governor nominee you might
get more straight ticket voting," Koopman said, adding that a number
of anti-abortion Democrats on the West Michigan ballots could look
attractive to anti-abortion Republicans who don't vote straight
ticket.

Galmish said Right to Life will divert its resources into other races,
focusing on supporting 7th Congressional District candidate Tim
Walberg, and 9th Congressional District candidate Andrew Rocky
Raczkowski. A number of legislative races are also on the group's
radar.

"We have an opportunity to win a number of other ones and we'll be
looking at those, too," Galmish said. "We'll look more closely at the
state House and Senate races, very definitely."

kbouff...@detnews.com (517) 371-3660

http://detnews.com/article/20100806/POLITICS02/8060387/Right-to-Life-unlikely-to-back-Snyder#ixzz0vpRYW7qo