Sorry WL but I have to disagree. For a start, I'm not sure what your
concept of Lenin's concept of banks actually is.

This time around people started to notice the crisis when there was a
run on a building society type bank in the UK.
I predicted something tumultuous would happen when I saw that the
price of oil futures had peaked just under 150 dollars to the barrel
(and I still think this had something to do with 'capital drying up'
at the investment banks). Then the turmoil began with the mortgage
brokers.

However, if we look at the 1907 crisis we actually see a lot of
continuity and analogues. We see the panic actually starts and is
expressed in institutions that are outside the 'traditional bank' of
the era but have taken on functions in areas of business and the
country that the banks didn't.

http://eh.net/encyclopedia/article/moen.panic.1907

excerpt:

Why Were There Runs on Trust Companies?

There were three main types of financial intermediaries during the
National Banking Era: national banks, state banks, and later in the
period trust companies. It is not surprising that trust companies were
the focal point of the panic. In New York, assets at the trust
companies had grown phenomenally between 1890 and 1910, increasing 244
percent during the 10 years ending in 1907, from $396.7 million to
$1,394.0 million. In contrast, national bank assets had grown 97
percent, from $915.2 million to $1,800.0 million, while
state-chartered bank assets had grown 82 percent, from $297 million to
$541.0 million (Barnett 1911, 234-35). Thus the manner in which trust
companies used their assets greatly affected the New York money market
(Moen and Tallman 1992).

Trust companies were much less regulated than national or state banks
in New York. In 1906 New York State instituted a requirement that
trusts maintain reserves at 15 percent of deposits, but only 5 percent
of deposits needed to be kept as currency in the vault. Before that
time trusts simply kept whatever reserves they felt necessary to
conduct business. National bank notes were adequate as cash reserves
for trusts while national banks in central reserve cities like New
York were required to keep a 25 percent reserve in the form of specie
or legal tender (greenbacks or treasury notes but not national bank
notes).

Trusts were originally rather conservative institutions, managing
estates, holding securities, and taking deposits, but by 1907 trusts
were performing most of the functions of banks except issuing bank
notes. Many of the larger trusts specialized in underwriting security
issues. Others wrote mortgages or invested directly in real estate
activities barred or limited for national banks. New York City trusts
had a higher proportion of collateralized loans than did New York City
national banks. Conventional banking wisdom associated collateralized
loans with riskier investments and riskier borrowers. The trusts,
therefore, had an asset portfolio that may have been riskier than
those of other intermediaries.

National and private banks found the investment banking functions of
trusts so useful that many of them gained direct or indirect control
of a trust through holding companies or by placing their associates on
a trust's board of directors. In many instances a bank and its
affiliated trust operated in the same building.

Trusts appear to have provided intermediary functions different from
those of banks. Although the volume of deposits subject to check at
trusts was similar to that at banks, trusts had many fewer checks (in
number and value) written against their demand deposits than did
banks. The check clearings of trusts were only about 7 percent of the
volume of those at banks. Trusts were not then like commercial banks,
whose assets are used as transactions balances by individual
depositors or firms. National banks were part of a network of regional
banks that had correspondent relationships to expedite interregional
transactions (James 1978, 40). Trusts were not part of the
correspondent banking system, so their deposits were more local and
less directly subject to the recurring seasonal strains on funds.