I admit that my criteria is weighed heavily for a plausible evocation of a
time, place and situation I've not experienced and am not likely to
experience.  As soon as that vision of Fort Smith came onto the screen, I
was predisposed to like it.  And the introduction of Mattie was a wonderful,
feisty and, to me, a very realistic character...  I certainly don't think we
can extrapolate such a movie about such people into some grand philosophical
statement about human nature.

After all, a flick about the Donner Party or the Franklin Expedition isn't
necessarily advocating cannibalism, is it?

But I think you misread the Mattie as depicted in the new movie.  As what
you call "an old maid," she was as headstrong as feisty as she was a kid.
What nice few lines at Frank James to close the movie.  I think nobody in
the theatre saw her moving Cogburn's body as anything simply acquisitive or
lacking in tenderness.

Still, I have a lot of affection for the old movie, too.

ML