On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 12:08 AM, J L <jleftbr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Norway supplies raw materials (oil and gas) to the world economy ; that's why
> it
> is rich. Norway actually was colonized by Sweden for much of its history. I
> would not characterize it as an imperialist country.
>
> Jeff

The whole obsessive questioning 'is random medium-small country
imperialist?' seems both historically backwards and unimaginative. In
particular the idea that we should be thinking of imperialism in
exclusively or even primarily nation-state terms seems wrong-headed.
Geographically imperialism seems today to be defined more by
particular centers. Places like New York, Washington DC, London,
Brussels, Frankfurt, Tokyo. Perhaps also emerging centers in China,
India, and Dubai. Of course there are some countries whose state and
military apparatuses play particularly important roles in imperialism,
in particular we might think of the US as in some way uniquely
imperialist due to its central, though possibly waning role in this
whole setup. And yes it is true that there is some level of conflict
and competition between different imperialist centers of activity but
even so it is a far cry from the sort of inter-state rivalry of
nationally-bound capitals that characterized the world of Lenin's day.
Is Norway imperialist? In one sense 'no' if you have in mind Norwegian
imperialism as being out there in competition with other state-based
imperialisms. But in another sense 'yes' as Norway is deeply connected
to particular capitalist centers and is part of the EU and NATO, etc
which are important imperialist structures. It is part of the
capitalist/imperialist 'core' or at least very close and well
integrated. In this way it differs from countries like Iran or
Venezuela which are capitalist but are also much more peripheral in
the overall system. This peripheral character is what has allowed a
certain amount of space for the particular political experiments each
has undertaken. However, one gets the sense that, worldwide, this sort
of space has been rapidly shrinking and that such experiments are
increasingly tenuous and difficult to maintain. This is one of the
reasons that I think the whole 'campist' approach is likely to founder
now in ways that it probably wouldn't have in the past.
-dave