On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Tom Cod <tomc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> doesn't it really mean looking at something in a nuanced way with reference
> to all its contradictory aspects?  Who but maybe a middle school pedant
> follows the mechanical formal logic these "dialectics" purport to demolish?
>  From my days on the sectarian left, references to "dialectics" tended to be
> sanctimonious, mystical appeals to dogma resorted to when people,
> particularly snake oil peddling cult leaders, really didn't know what they
> were talking about.  And of course intuition has no place in either of these
> formalistic schemas.

I think there is a lot of truth to this. It makes me very skeptical of
many uses of the term though I still think it has its uses. Of course
when Marx was writing in the 1840's Hegel was the latest and greatest
in terms of German scientific methodology. I think a contemporary
discussion would have to take into account the (sea) changes that have
occurred in science since the 1840's and would have to abandon much of
the Hegelianism.
-dave