Fred:
Gadhafi's reported victory in the latest round of the sea-saw battle for
Zawiya indicates that a stalemate is hardening. I don't think we should
exclude the possibility that the military morale and political will of the
insurgents are being undermined by leaders who tell them that the US will
break the stalemate and place the leaders in power.

Dave:
I don't think Zawiya indicates anything about a stalemate. Zawiya is
near Tripoli and to the west. What is remarkable here is that the
revolutionaries have held out for so long against Quadhafi's best
forces despite being so poorly organized and equipped. The main
revolutionary forces are advancing on Tripoli from the east, so far
successfully.

Fred:
This leaves out a living possibility. That is, that Chavez's offer is being
rejected so firmly because the section of the titular leadership that
decides such questions today is relying on Washington offers them a surer,
and, from their class standpoint, safer road to power (for them, not the
people in revolt, or the rest of the masses, either) than one that does not
rely on imperialist power.

Dave:
If I were a Libyan revolutionary I would not trust Chavez as an
arbitrator because of the way he took Quadhafi's side in this pretty
early on and because of his ostentatious support for Quadhafi in the
past. I would also find the notion of Quadhafi escaping the justice of
the people to be unacceptable and so any settlement with Quadhafi no
matter who mediated would be out except as a last resort.

Is it possible that some in the Benghazi government have ulterior
motives in not accepting mediation? Yes it is. But I would argue that
actually there is no way they could accept mediation due to popular
will. Their popular legitimacy (to the extent that they have it) would
be undermined if went into negotiations. Some at least in the
provisional government in Benghazi have called for air support but
have refused boots on the ground. I can understand their reasoning
here even though I think it is mistaken. It is also unclear how widely
that sentiment is shared. The fact that they limit the call to aerial
intervention tells me that intervention would probably be
controversial.

In regards to Chavez - does Chavez really think he can get Quadhafi to
leave? How clever/stupid is Chavez being? What does he know about
Quadhafi that we might not? I don't see it as 'wholly positive' as you
do. It will be far better for the revolution if they can bring down
Quadhafi themselves and Chavez's offer could likely (maybe already
has) rebound on the Bolivarian project in some dangerous ways.

Fred:
But isn't it possible that those who are calling for US air strikes and air
cover -- that is, for the US imperialists to break the stalemate and place
the titular opposition at the head of government -- are doing so out of
class consciousness, not simply confused "good" (from our standpoint)
intentions.

Dave:
I wouldn't doubt it. Reports indicate the current provisional
government in Benghazi is made up primarily of professionals, lawyers,
etc. At the moment this revolution is basically democratic in
character. Real class struggles probably won't start to really emerge
until after Quadhafi is gone. Right now everyone is focused on getting
rid of him.