The military probably have a term for these light trucks - what we in New
Zealand call a ute (utility  truck). I think the issue is more one of the
journalists (and, to be honest the listening public) don't know all the
technical jargon. For example, many of the "tanks" that we see reports of aren't
tanks either, they're armoured personnel carriers (APCs, or armoured vehicles
designed to move infantry around). But to someone who doesn't take much of an
interest in military hardware, "tank" is a word they understand, because they're
big, armoured, painted in a camoflage pattern and have tracks or lots of big
wheels. There isn't any intended deception in this sort of inaccuracy in my
opinion, just a lack of precision in the use of language.

Likewise, plenty of people get knocked over by the blast of an explosion that's
too far away to do any real injury.
Cheers,
John