NY Times September 11, 1988
MUSIC VIEW; REACTIONARY MUSICAL MODERNISTS
By John Rockwell

The most fascinating bit of musical journalism in recent weeks is an article by Richard Taruskin in the Sept. 5 New Republic entitled ''The Dark Side of Modern Music.'' Ostensibly a review of Harvey Sachs's book ''Music in Fascist Italy,'' it lays out biographical evidence indicating the Fascist, or at least authoritarian, tendencies of Stravinsky, Schoenberg and Webern.

Mr. Taruskin, who is preparing a book on Stravinsky, cites two letters not included in Robert Craft's collection of the composer's correspondence. In 1930 Stravinsky asserts: ''I don't believe that anyone venerates Mussolini more than I do. To me he is the one man who counts nowadays in the whole world . . . He is the savior of Italy and - let us hope - of Europe.''

In another letter written shortly after Hitler took power in 1933, Stravinsky queries his German publisher: ''I am surprised to have received no proposals from Germany next season, since my negative attitude toward communism and Judaism - not to put it in stronger terms - is a matter of common knowledge.''

Mr. Taruskin sees parallels between such attitudes and Stravinsky's retreat from Romanticism into his neo-Classicism of the 1920's, and quotes Arthur Lourie's description of the composer as ''the dictator of the reaction against the anarchy into which modernism degenerated.''

Schoenberg, too, in a well-known quotation, sought with his formulation of the 12-tone system in the early 20's not just to bring order to anarchy but also to make ''a discovery thanks to which the supremacy of German music is ensured for the next 100 years.'' Mr. Taruskin is not the first to suggest connections between the ordering principles of Serialism and an authoritarian sensibility.

But he goes further, citing a 1924 letter in which Schoenberg writes of ''the fairest, alas bygone, days of art in which a prince stood as a protector before an artist, showing the rabble that art, a matter for princes, is beyond the judgment of common people.'' Mr. Taruskin also alludes to Anton Webern, who eagerly welcomed the Nazi Anschluss of Austria in 1938.

What are we to make of all this? Mr. Taruskin lumps it together as indicative of the ''anti-democratic legacy of modernism.'' He also points out that after Webern was silenced and Stravinsky and Schoenberg had found haven in America, they changed their tunes, at least in part.

And yet the juxtaposition of this information remains highly charged. Do these (and other nonmusical) cases support the notion of an inherent antidemocratic bias to modernism? Was Schoenberg's aristocracy of the spirit (or even his leanings toward a literal aristocracy) on the same order of evil as Stravinsky's fervent pro-Fascism and anti-Semitism?

A consideration of the right-wing aspects of modernism reminds us - as Will Crutchfield pointed out recently in these pages - of the tangled links between an abstract art like music and the political beliefs of composers and performers.

But it also encourages us to question the unthinking assumption that anything the Nazis disdained has to be morally sympathetic. Because the Nazis attacked ''Cultural Bolshevism,'' we assume that what they attacked was left-wing. Indeed, despite his conservative leanings, Schoenberg did have his fervent leftist champions. But many of them agreed with him about a hierarchy of artistic worth.

The political implications of Stravinsky's neo-Classicism and Schoenberg's Serialism cast new light on the polemics of the 1950's and 60's, as well. On one hand, they lend weight to Pierre Boulez and Theodor Adorno in their denunciations of neo-Classicism. On the other, they make the opposition between the Stravinskians and the Schoenbergians (or Webernians) more like a family squabble than a Manichaean battle.

Schoenberg's conservatism also helps explain seeming ideological anomalies in important intellectual movements of later times. It has bothered some rock critics that Adorno and other members of the Frankfurt School could combine progressive Marxism with an utter disdain of popular culture. Yet they were drawing from the same well that produced Schoenberg's dismissal of ''the rabble.''

Similarly, I used to wonder, how could highly politicized neo-conservative critics like Hilton Kramer and Samuel Lipman idolize modernism? Surely, I assumed, modernism had a built-in revolutionary component.

In fact, some (but hardly all) modernists had conservative political temperaments. And just as much of Stravinsky's Fascism and anti-Semitism of the 1930's derived from his horror of the Russian Revolution, so do many neo-conservatives today let an anti-Soviet hostility color their views - although it's Russian anti-Semitism and antilibertarianism they abhor.

Should any of this dampen our enthusiasm for the music of Stravinsky or Schoenberg or Webern? Those for whom political and moral correctness is inseparable from art, and who consider themselves staunch defenders of democracy and the Jewish tradition, and who have heretofore loved Stravinsky's music but were unaware of his beliefs, may have a problem.

But the real lesson here is that human lives and values are more complex than any ready equation of art and politics and morality. And that it is dangerous to assume that someone who espouses a doctrine you admire (like modernism) abhors a doctrine you dislike (like Fascism). Bravo to Mr. Taruskin for raising the issues so feistily in the first place.