 " the starve the beast " line  run out by MP is itself no surprise...but it is
incomplete
in fact it   hardly gets to the  core immediate contextual purpose of this
squeeze or its north hemisphere universality

you have to look global to grasp  the  decisive target   of this  co ordinated
spending squeeze :
we have a forex tilt that creates a tendency toward very  serious aggregate
trade imbalance  between the sum of north economies
    in theiir trade with the aggregate  of south economies

the budget austerity policy goal :
semi- rebalancing  north south imports and exports .... reducing trade gaps
WITHOUT tampering with nice pro north trans nat corporate forex rates
the method  of rebalance setting dramatically different import adsorption rates
 between the two hemisphers

hence our present two speeds two tracks  global dynamics with a fast expansion
in chindia etc and a slow track for the north markets

we in the north are in  something best called "the great stagnation " not "the
great recession"

 its purpose ??? preserve the  global MNC super profits system
ie
 the profits from  cross border cross currency  trade ......in particular the
forex driven south => north  export game based on "manufactured production cost
advantages "
  (exchange rate manipulated   wage arbitrage )

simple message:

  the north hemisphere policy induced stagnation is  contrived to preseve   our
trans nat outfits  rigged forex system