Lou Paulsen wrote:
Again, what is the point? What diseases or delusions in the working class and the progressive movement are we supposed to be opposing here? Gadhafi and Kim have not set up internationals. We do not run into their followers everywhere. But on the contrary, there are millions of workers who support imperialist war against them, while believing that the US armed forces are a "global force for good"* against their evil, and many in the progressive movement who are truly equivocal about it. Those people are our responsibility to engage with our press.
___________________

Kind of misses the point comrade, because in reality WWP and similar organizations do much more that simply oppose imperialist war, and the belief that the armed forces of capitalist countries can be a "global force for good."

There is, I believe, an actual record of endorsement, of uncritical support [and by criticism I mean class-based, material critique of the functioning of the "nationalist" regime, so that uncritical support involves obscuring the class lines within the "national" domain] for Qaddafi-type regimes.

And this creates the illusion that somehow such regimes represent a viable option, a viable opposition to capitalism, exploitation-- that "anti-imperialism" actually represents a vector for class struggle.

It also creates the illusion that oppositions to Qaddafi-type regimes can somehow be identified as, and separated into, from the getgo, "good" opposition [i.e. not containing "liberal," pro-capitalist, foreign-intervention friendly], or "bad" opposition, containing all those, and more elements.

That's not how social struggle develops. That isn't how it develops in Iran, Libya, Syria, etc. just as it wasn't the way it developed in Poland, the former DDR, Romania etc.

What's missing above all in this "anti-imperialist" cover is economic analysis; analysis of the social relations of production in these economies; the relations that compel a Qaddafi, or a Jaruzelski, to act as they do.

If I might be so rude to refer back to an earlier exchange, in discussing the situation in Poland, you pointed out how WWP "appealed" to the Polish government to renounce the debt when in fact that government had committed itself to servicing that debt at the expense of the workers in general, and the Polish miners in particular.

The Polish miners did more than appeal. They struck and seized those mines. Did WWP support those strikes? Does a workers' press have an obligation to support workers' actions taken against a "anti-imperialist" or "national" state/economy that is in fact embedded in imperialism and servicing the demands of capital?

Simple question: did you support the strikes and seizures of the mines by the Polish workers?

The illusion being sown is that the workers in say a Poland or even a Libya or Syria cannot dare risk opposition to the terms of exploitation because they might lose something more than their chains.... which of course abandons the field of opposition exactly to those regressive forces that are generated, reproduced by "national" regimes.