In a recent post about the world wide number
of leftist parties, someone made a crack about
the Communist Party of the Philippines being
merely an armed extortion racket. That is a lie.
Comrades of te CPP have for decades been fighting
in  many forms and on many fronts, including
armed struggle.

Below is an excerpt of the tribute to Comrade
Billy Beranna who who was killed in action after
30 years participation in that struggle. The
style of writing is common to this type of
remembrance and I am sure it will strike
some here as just crude propaganda. I prefer to
think of the sacrifice a 44 year old man makes
to soldier in the field under the conditions of
guerrilla warfare against that rapacious, corrupt,
comprador dictatorship. Red Salute to a fallen
comrade.

THE LAST BRAVE STAND: The Communist Party of the
Philippines' Tribute to Comrade Billy Berana
(Ka Toklai/Ka Ebyong)

CPP-Far Southern Mindanao
/February 1, 2011/
<http://www.philippinerevolution.net/cgi-
bin/statements/stmts.pl?date=110201;author=fsmrpc;lang=bis>

"Withdraw now to safety while I take care of the enemy!"
These were Ka Toklai's last final words as he bravely
faced a platoon of 73rd IB contingents who were on a
surprise patrol in the hinterland barrio of Malapatan,
Sarangani Province about 2 pm of 26 January 2011.
Together with Red fighters in ambush position,
he bravely fought with his m16 rifle, hitting seven
soldiers, two of whom were later pronounced dead in
the hospital. When Ka Toklai fell, the other comrades
who were with him had already escaped to safety and
were out of reach from the marauding
Scout Rangers of the AFP.

Billy Berana or Ka Toklai (also known as Ka Berka,
Ka Ebyong, Ka Goyot,Ka Zero and many other names),
who bravely offered his life to save his
companions, gives us a glimpse of the heroism
and selflessness of the people's true warrior.
He was the quintessential revolutionary who lived
and died serving the people wholeheartedly. He had
dedicated the greater part of his life with the
Lumad and peasant masses, braving the odds,
giving practical solutions and humor to the most
difficult situations. He was 44 and had worked as an
exemplary revolutionary for close to 30 years.

He was an organizer par excellence. Through his
able leadership and dint of painstaking mass work,
the comrades were able to build a relatively
large mass base in Compostela Valley, Cotabato,
Bukidnon, Davao and Sarangani. He was North
Cotabato's "recovery king" who penetrated many
unchartered territories in the past decade
by using many unorthodox methods. For he was
naturally talented and creative and he could pass
for a lumad, a farmer, a student, a pastor, a
last-two usher, a fish vendor, a handicapped
polio victim, etc. He could also speak so many
dialects and could mimic the accent of the
masses in the area. Once, in order to penetrate
the hostile areas of North Cotabato, Ka Toklai
easily posed as a teenage girl in search of her
relatives and thus was able to build contacts
and organize peasant groups which eventually
became the initial mass base. He was a chameleon
revolutionary who blended with his surroundings
so fully; his true identity was unknown up to
the very end. The enemy never knew who he was
until the time of his death.

And how the people loved him! Wherever he went,
Ka Toklai was received as a son, a brother or
a friend. People ran to him to solve their myriad
problems-- land conflicts, work conditions,
interpretation of the law,medical problems and
even the marital problems. Little children revolved
around him for friendship, comfort and fun.
On many occasions he saved orphaned children
from the tragedy of hunger or death by finding
them a home. Coming from the family of a poor
peasant himself, Ka Toklai would remind everyone
that "while poverty is a reality we have to
live with, we must always take care of the children,
especially the peasant children."

His energy was boundless, and his enthusiasm infectious
--so infectious that his wife and three grown sons
were inspired to join the movement and give their
fair share of revolutionary work. He never
stopped consolidating his family, deepening their
understanding of the revolution, teaching them
the values of working for the people's struggle.
"Kasamang Derpa" his children would lovingly talk
about him and his 'escapades'-- proud and happy
revolutionaries themselves whose dedication to
the cause became a shining beacon to many
revolutionary families in the region.
"Bilib man gyud mi sa iya, bisan sa iyang
pagkaamahan (We are very proud of our father.),"
texted one of his sons to the people attending
his wake.

For all his achievements, Ka Toklai was a humble
revolutionary who was open to criticism and
suggestions. He admitted his mistakes and shortcomings
easily and tried hard to rectify them. He also
listened to everyone, young and old, and had the
capacity to laugh at himself. His light-heartedness
and good humor made the seemingly impossible possible.
He had no vices, no luxuries, no whims, and
no caprices. He was simply Ka Toklai, the
hardworking, funny, peasant revolutionary who
has laid down his life for us and will forever
live in our hearts as a beloved hero and a great
leader.