Dogan wrote:

Michael,
the autheticity of this quote is not put into question. Rather the people
discussed at that time why he said that in 1999, and not before.
He had later an interview in Spiegel German weekly. If you read German or
have anybody around you who reads German may help with you with this:
http://67329.forumromanum.com/member/forum/forum.php?action=std_show&entryid=1098488182&USER=user_67329&threadid=2 <http://67329.forumromanum.com/member/forum/forum.php?action=std_show&entryid=1098488182&USER=user_67329&threadid=2>

Thanks, Dogan. I'm not questioning whether Gorbachev was a Social Democrat (which he indicates in the 1993 Der Spiegel interview--- and, in using the term 'subjective', I was separating this from any consideration of his objective role). I see from the site you referenced that I am not alone in questioning the authenticity of what is described there as a 1999 speech at the American University of Ankara and also as a speech at the Technical University of the Middle East (METU)--- in contrast to the original descriptions of it as a newspaper interview and then a radio interview. Can you give an exact time and place of this? It's easy to see how such a story could be picked up, translated and repeated once it appeared on the web (and I still wonder about its disappearance from the 'Northstar Compass' of February 2000). Do you have a Turkish reference from that time?
    best wishes,
    michael

--
Michael A. Lebowitz