Just some early morning coffee thoughts.

And, on coffee, it tastes even better right now since the revelations of the
past day or so that add up to its medical benefits, including its role as
something of bulwark against male prostate cancer.  (Not a problem of mine, I'm
glad to add.)

But coffee, along with the Human Horrors that grace the world, and natural ones
as well such as the rejuvenation of Old Man River, has taken something of a
back seat to Sex.  Specifically, Sex in New York City and Sex on the West Coast.

Brings to mind a pleasant dinner of slightly more than half a century ago.  The
setting was Wasau, Wisconsin, and the dinner was on the nickel of a good guy
and developing friend, Elwood Taub, then research and education director of the
International Woodworkers of America -- the CIO lumber workers union.  He, a
seasoned veteran of a good many extremely tough  organizing campaigns in Dixie,
much of this in Textile before he took the IWA job, and aware of my developing
interest in "going South", was trying to maneuver my being hired as an
organizer by his international.  Though not without influence therein, he --
and I -- were aware that the top leadership, in contrast to the still extant
Wobbly spirit that pervaded much of the grassroots in the Pacific Northwest,
had grown cautious.  In the end, the officialdom balked at me -- and I, of
course, found my Dixie door and Destiny at Tougaloo College, just a bit north
of Jackson. Elwood and I remained friends and, in time, he found another union.

During our leisurely dinner, he looked at me and remarked rather directly,
"When you go South, always remember this:  Keep your pecker in your pants."

Actually, I'd heard that advice a bit earlier, not delivered quite so bluntly,
by a Mine-Mill organizer and good friend, a Southerner by origin, who'd been
through his share of fire fights.

I've followed that advice -- obviously figuratively.   Hardly a "tight"
personality sort by any remote stretch [and I hate formal suits], I was
occasionally tagged cordially by such worthies as my late Dixie [and elsewhere]
buddy, some years younger than I, the late J.V. Henry and himself a North
Carolinian, as "the Puritan of the Civil Rights Movement."

A couple of months after Wasau, Eldri and I married. The world is much the
better via our four offspring, and the now ten grandchildren.

And, decades later, when I penned my little and subsequently much reprinted
piece, "Just What Makes A Damn Good Community Organizer,"  the second basic
dimension of my eleven point catechism, is this:

"The Organizer should be relatively "pure" in the moral sense. But not
too pure -- because no one, anywhere, wants a sanctimonious conscience
hovering about. Set a good personal example. Do your recreational thing
away from the project. Wherever you are, avoid all drugs and go easy on
alcohol [if you are even into that sensitivity-dulling stuff.] Remember the
old labor adage: "You can't fight booze and the boss at the same time."
Always a special target, the organizer has to be aware of the consistent
danger of frame-ups."

http://www.hunterbear.org/just_what_makes_a_damn_good_comm.htm

Sometimes, when starting a talk, I hand my Eleven Points out to the audience.
Older people read it somberly and younger folk, coming almost immediately to
that which I've just quoted, often look up at me, grinning.

I always grin back.

And no, I am not sanctimonious,  But I am very serious.

In Solidarity,

Hunter [Hunter Bear]

HUNTER GRAY [HUNTER BEAR/JOHN R SALTER JR] Mi'kmaq /St. Francis
Abenaki/St. Regis Mohawk
Protected by Na´shdo´i´ba´i´
and Ohkwari'

I have always lived and worked in the Borderlands.
Our Hunterbear website is now eleven years old..
Check out http://hunterbear.org/directory.htm

See - Personal and Detailed Background Narrative:
http://hunterbear.org/narrative.htm

See Outlaw Trail: The Native as Organizer:
http://hunterbear.org/outlaw_trail1.htm
[Included in Visions & Voices: Native American Activism [2009]

And see Forces and Faces Along the Activist Trail:
http://hunterbear.org/forces_and_faces_along_the_trail.htm