There was an old German radical I knew in Chicago, who had been in the
Sparakusbund back in the Weimar republic.  He work the morning after the
Reichstag fire to the jackboots coming down the street.  Since he already
knew he could get nothing by going to the USSR (other than a free trip back
to Germany), he made his way west and wound up in Chicago.   There, he
married a German woman and returned to Germany in 1936 for the Olympics.

I'll never forget the look of disgust on his face when he described how the
American section of the stands stood for the Horst Wessel song and saluted
the Fuhrer.

Never let their short-sightedness and stupidity surprise us.

ML