a little different.  In an option as I understand it, one must
exercise the same to buy at a preset price.  This exists elsewhere.
I'll give you 100 bucks to keep your car for sale to me for 2000 bucks
for a certain period.   In this scenario, in particular the CDS,
"insurance policies" were sold against the default of mortgage
securities to third parties who held no interest in the same.  Like me
buying fire insurance in someone's house even though I don't have an
"insurable interest" in the same. Guy defaults on his mortgage, not
only does bank lose the principal, but that bank or another
institution has to pay out to a third party, who suffered no loss,
another similar amount.  collapse of realty prices comes along and the
whole house of cards comes crashing down, aggravated by clever "bears"
who saw money to be made, particularly out of the subprime stuff that
was virtually predestined to fail.

Yeah, it does differ from traditional "short sales" or selling short
scams where stocks are borrowed in kind from a seller with a promise
to be paid back in the same form and then cashed out with a view to a
decline in price; then the paper is rebought at rock bottom prices and
tendered back to the lender to settle the debt for big profit.
Stories of "colorful" characters like Jay Gould and Daniel Drew exist
who did that to their own companies when they decided they were
through with them, stuff that is illegal today and which were glaring
examples of what was called even in those days "financial piracy"
showing how often capitalists much less to advance industry and the
forces of production as they claimed they did.  Drew is the guy from
whom the term "watering stock" comes from.  In the 1820s before
entering Wall St., he worked as a cattle driver bringing herds down
from upstate to the city.  He'd stop off around Harlem, then a nearby
rural hamlet, and water em up before they hit the scales downtown.
His downfall came in a big overreach when he tried to do that to
Commodore Vanderbilt-supposedly a big infrastructure guy-circa 1870
who bankrupted him by pumping his entire fortune in keeping his stock
prices up.