The legacy of Cesar Chavez is a mixed one. If Joaquin knows something about the
UFW and Chavez, let us hear it.The Atlantic review was of Miriam Pawel's book,
The Union of Their Dreams. My guess is that neither Joaquin nor John Obrienhave
read this book. I urge them to do so.  And watch for Frank Bardacke's
forthcoming book on the UFW.  It will set the gold standard for analysis of the
UFW and Cesar Chavez. And to everyone, try to remember what my grandmother told
me when I was ecstatic about the UFW and Cesar (I worked directly for him and
knew him. He, I, and his bodyguards helped celebrate my 31st birthday in
Stockton, CA in 1977, just before a key legal case began at which I testified).
Grandma said, "Remember, Michael, there are bad people among the poor too." In
the early 1980s, Chavez and his kids and Dolores Huerta hounded local
farmworker leaders out of the union and out of their jobs. Their
sin--challenging Chavez's absolute rule. Everyone was Latino.