What a financial tailspin may mean for you and me

By Ann Pettifor

"This crisis is already sharpening the divide between left and right in both
the EU and the United States. Studying a precedent – the implosion of the 1920s
credit bubble in 1929 – we note that four years after that crisis erupted, the
political divide sharpened decisively. The United States and Britain moved to
the left. Germany chose a different path. After 1930, Germany's Centre party
under Chancellor Brüning adopted austerity policies that resulted in cuts in
welfare benefits and wages, while credit was tightened. At the same time the
German government engaged in wildly excessive borrowing from the liberalised
international capital markets. The ground was laid for the rise of fascism."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/19/financial-tailspin

Ismail Lagardien

Nihil humani a me alienum puto