[I hope this posts OK -- Unlike previous versions, the latest version of Thunderbird doesn't seem to automatically change posts to text in the composing window even though the program is configured to send text only to Marxmail. Louis or whoever -- please let me know if this gets stuck in the pipeline due to the lists pre-html norms. And if you have any clue how to fix T-bird 7, let me know.

[For the rest, in case it is not clear --and I'm not sure since I can't see a text-only version-- this is all quotes, the only thing I wrote are the names of the authors of the last two items quoted.]

*  *  *

 Hispanics leave school in face of Alabama's tough immigration law

   Alabama's new immigration law requires public schools to document
   the legal status of children upon enrollment. As a result, many
   immigrant families are withdrawing their children from school.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/1001/Hispanics-leave-school-in-face-of-Alabama-s-tough-immigration-law

*  *  *

 Alabama immigration law spurs exodus from schools

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Hispanic students have started pulling out of Alabama public schools in the wake of a court ruling that upheld the state's tough new law cracking down on illegal immigration.

Education officials say scores of immigrant families withdrew their children from classes or kept them home last week, afraid that sending the kids to school would draw attention from authorities.

There are no precise statewide numbers, but several districts with large immigrant enrollments -- from small towns to large urban districts -- reported a sudden exodus of children of Hispanic descent. Some told officials they plan to leave the state to avoid trouble with the law, which requires schools to check students' immigration status.

http://www.freep.com/article/20111002/NEWS07/110020552/Alabama-immigration-law-spurs-exodus-from-schools

*  *  *

"Today I have stood, where once Jefferson Davis stood, and took an oath to my people. It is very appropriate then that from this Cradle of the Confederacy, this very Heart of the Great Anglo-Saxon Southland, that today we sound the drum for freedom as have our generations of forebears before us done, time and time again through history. Let us rise to the call of freedom-loving blood that is in us and send our answer to the tyranny that clanks its chains upon the South. In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny . . . and I say . . . segregation today . . . segregation tomorrow . . . segregation forever." -- George Wallace, 1963 inaugural address

*  *  *

You see, Alabama is a Sovereign State,
With sovereign dogs and sovereign hate
They stand for the Bible and the Constitution
They stand against Communist Revolution.
They say "Its Pinkoes like you that freed the slaves!"
            -- Phil Ochs, Talking Birmingham, 1963