I apologize for making one of those horrible mistakes that seem to occur at
3AM.

For the 100 horsepower motor to run at 50 percent efficiency at a distance of
1/2 mile from the source, the wire cross section area is 0.4 square inches and
the conductor pair's weight is 3 pounds per foot for a total of 7,800 pounds,
contrary to my earlier erroneous calculations.

Losing one-half of the generated power in the process of connecting  to the
load one-half mile away seems unreasonable. Increasing the size of the
current-carrying wire is a possible remedy. For our example, to enable the
motor to run at its full 100 horsepower with 90 percent efficiency, the supply
voltage must be raised to 110 volts and the weight of the copper conductors
becomes 75,000 pounds total. That is an unreasonable remedy. It is Edison's
problem and was never solved to anybody's satisfaction. That's why nobody uses
low voltage DC except (for example) in cars where there is a battery within a
few feet of the starter motor.
                        --rod
(As an aside, when Detroit changed the automobile system from 6 volts to
today's 12 volts, they cut the weight of copper wire in the car by a factor of
4.)