On 14.11.2011 07:06, Manuel Barrera wrote:

<snip>

But I did, so, I'll just ask the question (you know, to get back to bein' historical an' all): Why exactly is
Althusser's waiting out the anti-communist '50's to emerge with a "left" critique against Stalinism and his
admitted (by Tomb, that is) failure to "establish the absolute scientificity [sic] of Marxist theory"
important? Does Tomb really believe that actually establishing Marxist theory as absolutely scientific would really
have prevented "party bosses, revisions, and rivals" from ignoring Marxist scientific principles or simply
betraying them? Wouldn't that simply be a function of their alien class philosophical, theoretical, and political
basis? What kind of useful "strategy" is inherent in sitting inside a Stalinist party for decades developing
a critique that ultimately failed?

I have a rather different take on Althusser from Richard. Long ago when I was a student, I actually waded through all of Althusser's writings then available in English, and came to the conclusion that what he was doing was providing a sophisticated (and almost incomprehensiblle to those unfamiliar with the vocabulary/jargon he was using) theoretical justification for the fundamental politics of the PCF - even if he was critical of some aspects.

It's a long time ago and I don't think I have the critique I wrote then anymore and I've got no intention of going through his writings again - once was more than enough - so I'm afraid I can't now provide any justification for these conclusions.

As regards the mental health issues - I agree with Richard that they have absolutely nothing to do with his value or otherwise as a theoretician. On the killing of his wife - while I agree that there are innumerable people with serious mental health issues who don't murder their spouses, there are also others who do. The "reasons" they have are as varied as their personal circumstances. I don't think it's possible to draw any valid conclusions about their position on women's rights or anything else from their actions without much more profound knowledge of their state of mind than are available to us.

Einde O'Callaghan