Much of forensic television (CSI, et al) sprouts from the
same roots of uncertainty that manifests itself as reliance of science and
technology. Not to say that science and technology are always figured as
saviors as they have just as much chance (or more so) to be seen in a dystopic
light (Bladerunner would be the
standard bearer here). All of these anxieties can be linked more to the
question of modernity than current conditions; while it is fashionable to link
questions of post 911 identity to shows like 24hours, films and television
products
exploring these tendencies have been around for much longer than 911 or other
events can account for. Not only did alien invasion films of the 50’s reveal
these tensions, but also famously spoke to the political atmosphere of the
cold-war
period.