Comment by Hunter Bear:  January 15 2004.

This is the season in which Martin King -- and the Movement -- are
especially honored.  And rightly so indeed.  [I always do hope, however,
that Dr King's many positive qualities are not exaggerated to the point that no
young person feels he/she can emulate them.  Great man, for sure -- a saint,
no.]

More than anything else, we all need to tackle -- with maximum and urgent
effectiveness  -- the myriad of contemporary social justice issues confronting
much suffering Humanity.
I knew Martin King -- not deeply and well -- but consistently.  I called him
on the night of June 13 1963 from Jackson -- two days after Medgar Evers was
shot and killed.  Our rapidly growing protest demonstrations were being
bloodily suppressed.  I asked Dr King to come to Jackson for Medgar's funeral
on June 15.  He readily agreed to do so.  We picked him up and several key
staff of his -- Ralph Abernathy, Wyatt Walker and others -- at the
police-drenched Jackson airport.  It was already very hot and the temperature
was to go, that day, to 102 super-humid degrees.  Martin King and Dr Abernathy
rode in my car -- along with Bill Kunstler -- and the others were brought by Ed
King. We had a very grudging police escort from the city's all-White police
department. The Jackson setting could not have been more lethally dangerous for
all of us -- but Dr King visited easily and casually with me, and I with him,
as we traveled the very dangerous several miles to the Negro Masonic Temple on
Lynch Street.  The funeral was huge -- several thousand people, inside and out
-- and, following the funeral, six thousand of us marched the two miles or so
from the Temple to the Collins Funeral Home on Farish Street. [It was the first
"legal" civil rights demonstration in Mississippi's hate-filled, sanguinary
history.]  Then, there was a second massive demonstration -- which is discussed
in my following post on Medgar Evers.

I knew Medgar Wiley Evers deeply and well.

http://hunterbear.org/medgar_w.htm

http://hunterbear.org/an_idaho_mlk_day_gathering.htm [One of my earlier, and
typical, King Day talks in this region.  Subsequent ones, on King Day and other
times on related matters in calmer weather, have drawn much larger audiences.
This page also contains some other Mississippi reflections. [Go to the
"continue" page immediately following this one if interested in seeing very
early photos of Baby Maria with Lois Chaffee and Karin Kunstler [at Tougaloo]
and Baby John with neighborhood friends [at Raleigh.]

Hunter Bear

HUNTER GRAY [HUNTER BEAR/JOHN R SALTER JR] Mi'kmaq /St. Francis
Abenaki/St. Regis Mohawk
Protected by Na´shdo´i´ba´i´
and Ohkwari'
www.hunterbear.org
(much social justice material)

See the Stormy Adoption of an Indian Child [My Father]:
http://hunterbear.org/James%20and%20Salter%20and%20Dad.htm

For the new, just out (11/2011) and expanded/updated
edition of my "Organizer's Book," JACKSON MISSISSIPPI --
with a new and substantial Introduction by me:
http://hunterbear.org/jackson.htm

Personal Background Narrative (with many links):
http://hunterbear.org/narrative.htm