Regarding emotional labor, which Hans just mentioned:

My flight to Japan was on Japan Airlines.  We returned on United.  We
were struck by the difference in flight attendants.  On United, they
were stressed and overworked.  Their emotions were far from positive
but from no fault of their own, I suspect.  In contrast, Japan
Airlines flight attendants always seemed very positive, even though
they were expected to keep the toilets clean during the flight.

I don't know how much the difference was cultural and how much was due
to management-created stress.  I wish I knew more.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

530 898 5321