On 11 mar 2012, at 23.48, Louis Proyect wrote:

On 3/11/12 6:29 PM, Daniel Lindvall wrote:

I agree with your appreciation of A Separation and This is not a Film
(the final scene of this minimalist documentary - in the elevator with
the janitor - is so perfect I wonder if it was at least a bit
scripted...). BUT, I must totally disagree about In a Better World. I
found it racist and 'classist', the former completely in line with
Bier's and her steady scriptwriter Jensen's other work. I wrote about it
in this piece at the time of the Oscar:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2011/02/28/kipling-goes-to-the-oscars/

I had the same reaction to you on the Sudan scenes but much of the rest hit home with me. I nearly used a knife on a bully myself when I was Christian's age.

Bier & Jensen are good at psychology. I have had to confront quite a few bullies myself as a kid and a teenager and agree that the way they deal with the felt need for reasserting oneself even through physical violence rings true. But the racist pattern of their films and the way the only adult working class character is portrayed in this film, together with statements by Bier, makes me think of her films as otherwise rather ideologically nasty.

http://greenhouse.economics.utah.edu/mailman/options/marxism/daniel.lindvall%40filmint.nu