 "Scientists have been alarmed and puzzled by declines in bee
populations in the United States and other parts of the world."

One cannot help recalling Upton Sinclair's quote, " It is difficult to get a
man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding
it."

My local organic honey producer who lives in the mountains above Santa Cruz
said this to me at the farmer's market not long ago, "You take bees, treat them
like a industrial tool, driving them here and there to collect pollen on huge
agri-crops of the same variety, filled with pesticides and you wonder why you
get crop failure? My bees that I keep in the backyard, who have the choice of a
wide variety of flowers from different fruit trees and all the foliage around
Ben Lomond, are perfectly fine, why's that?"