Barry Sheppard in the second volume of his just released political memoir concludes that the Barnes regime from 1980 on carried out actions that brought about the rapid degeneration of the party "transforming it into the opposite" of what it had been. He confesses his culpability in this process writing; "I was a willing participant and supporter of every destructive organizational measure taken against the minority currents in the SWP from 1980 through the mass expulsions of 1983. These included the many trials against individuals that extended beyond the minority members."

Many devoted and talented political activists went through the trauma of the SWP's degeneration. Some were expelled, some became demoralized and resigned, others just drifted away. For many, what happened and how it happened remains a political mystery. Others were completely disoriented by the experience. Today, internet blogs contain more than a few bitter and confused ex SWPers, some looking for vengeance, others intent on justifying their own actions or inactions. A few have abandoned Marxism; others even reject materialist philosophy, adopting various forms of religious and mystical thinking. Another sector, falsely wishes to trace the roots of the Barnes regime degeneration back to James P. Cannon and even Lenin and Trotsky. What is required, more than ever today is a political analysis of what occurred with the SWP. In the second part of his book Sheppard presents his explanation for the degeneration of the SWP.

Sheppard gives us an insider's look, often in horrific detail, to the organizational degeneration carried out under Barnes direction. In this he is uniquely qualified, functioning for most of the period as Barnes chief organizational enforcer. Expressing what I believe is sincere regret, he details the pressure that led him personally, step by step, into playing this role. Where Sheppard's account come up short is explaining the political degeneration of Barnes and subsequently the SWP.

Sheppard's explanation for the root cause of the SWP degeneration essentially stands on two legs. One, the development of a personality cult around Jack Barnes, and two the mistaken belief by Barnes that we were on the verge of a widespread political radicalization of the working class. As an explanation of the SWP's political degeneration this two legged stool is not believable.

The above is a portion of my critique. The entire critique can be viewed at:

http://lynnhenderson.wordpress.com/

Lynn Henderson