Patrick Bond <pb...@mail.ngo.za> wrote:

> But the other old question is what happens to that kind of radical
> spirit over the years - now nearly three decades later, did Bowles have
> revolutionary visions beaten out of him? What I've seen of his work,
> including here in SA, hasn't had that kind of sting.

I don't know, but Bowles and Gintis have recently re-released the classic
Schooling in Capitalist America. That's available through Haymarket
<http://www.haymarketbooks.org/pb/Schooling-in-Capitalist-America> along with
the mentioned Education and Capitalism
<http://www.haymarketbooks.org/pb/Education-and-Capitalism>.

As I've accidentally ended up in the "education studies" corner of academia and
am still getting my head around Marxist approaches the other day I was about to
order both before I saw the hefty shipping price to Australia (this anyway is
for possible future reference because in a reflection of Bowles' points as a
grant funded researcher I have to follow the line rather than write what I
actually think). I might have to lobby Resistance Books here to distribute.

By the way great to see Haymarket has a substantial kids and parents section
<http://www.haymarketbooks.org/category/kids-parents>