Google has its good points.  Now and then  I find on it something of mine, or
relating to me and others I've known in the past.  I am not an
inveterate/constant letter writer -- but  try, at least, to write carefully and
selectively and with maximum effectiveness.  Here is one of several KKK letters
I wrote during our Northeastern North Carolina Black Belt campaign in the
mid-60s.  The Alabama-based United Klans of America was at that time extremely
strong in North Carolina. By the State's estimate -- there were maybe 20,000 in
1964 / 65.

Along with other smaller hate groups, United Klans was a deadly adversary of
ours.  In those days, I received a great many death threats.  Even the laggard
and usually hostile FBI was sufficiently concerned to send a young agent to our
home in Raleigh early in 1965 with a warning that the UKA in Bessemer Alabama
(near Birmingham) and that in Wake County, NC [Raleigh] were involved in a plot
to bomb our house. He said the Feds could do nothing in the situation and
nodded approvingly when I showed him my .38 Special Smith and Wesson revolver.
We lived in an all-Black neighborhood on the very edge of Raleigh.  I advised
our heavily armed neighbors who always watched our home when I was gone for
various periods of time up in the Black Belt area. I could get back home only
intermittedly.  Maria was barely three, if that -- and Eldri was pregnant with
John.  In the end, that Klan plot fizzled.

http://web.co.wake.nc.us/lee/vf/kkk/19650201lwua/19650201lwua.pdf (One of my
letters calling for state action against the KKK in North Carolina. Just found
on Google!)

Here is a link to a United Klan leaflet from our campaign in Halifax County,
NC. It's one of a number during that period.  Held at night in a field, several
of us secretly watched it from a grove of pines.  Had no problem seeing and
listening to it since it was lighted and broadcast to the conclave of many
hundreds via a generator on the back of a flatbed truck.  Three huge burning
crosses.
http://www.hunterbear.org/a_typical_klan_rally.htm

>From our Lair of Hunterbear website:

 I've been an organizer all of my life and I always will be one -- and you have
to be tough, damn tough, to be a really effective organizer.   Here, quoted by
Attorney David Kopel  [formerly an assistant district attorney in Manhattan and
 an  active civil libertarian] in his essay, "Trust the People," is a part of
the critically important legacy given by Frank Dolphin to me.
"In the 1950s and 1960s, a new civil rights movement began in the South. White
supremacist tactics were just as violent as they had been during
Reconstruction. Blacks and civil rights workers armed for self-defense.

John Salter, a professor at Tougaloo College and chief organizer of the
N.A.A.C.P.'s Jackson Movement during the early 1960s, wrote, "No one knows what
kind of massive racist retaliation would have been directed against grass-roots
black people had the black community not had a healthy measure of firearms
within it."

Salter personally had to defend his home and family several times against
attacks by night riders. After Salter fired back, the night riders fled.

The unburned Ku Klux Klan cross in the Smithsonian Institution was donated by a
civil rights worker whose shotgun blast drove Klansmen away from her driveway.

State or federal assistance sometimes came not when disorder began but when
blacks reacted by arming themselves. In North Carolina, Governor Terry Sanford
refused to command state police to protect a civil rights march from Klan
attacks. When Salter warned Governor Sanford that if there were no police, the
marchers would be armed for self-defense, the Governor provided police
protection."

Our classic Klan story from North Carolina, of course, is the huge -- really
huge -- United Klans rally held in the northern part of Halifax County on
Easter Sunday, 1965. It began in the early afternoon and drew UKA members from
all over the South.  We defeated that non-violently -- among other things via
our mass picnic of Blacks and some Indians immediately adjacent to the Klan
affair.  In the end, the Klan leaders cut the affair short -- never even made
it into the night. Their three huge crosses burned in the daylight.
http://hunterbear.org/handling_the_klan_on_easter_sund.htm

Our multi-county Northeastern North Carolina Black Belt project was eminently
successful.  And, in the end, we drove the Klan out of that entire region.
http://hunterbear.org/NORTH%20CAROLINA_OUR%20SUCCESSFUL%20BLACK%20BELT%20MOVEMENT.htm

A KKK group has recently formed here in Pocatello -- Empire Knights of the Ku
Klux Klan, affiliated with its home base in Florida and related to several Klan
units in Georgia and elsewhere.  Worth keeping an eye on -- but Idaho really
isn't its natural habitat.  However, there are some other similar "things" in
our region.  We always have a couple of loaded firearms in our house -- 'way up
high on the far western edge of Pocatello and a stone's throw from BLM lands.

In Solidarity,

Hunter Bear

HUNTER GRAY [HUNTER BEAR/JOHN R SALTER JR] Mi'kmaq /St. Francis
Abenaki/St. Regis Mohawk
Protected by Na´shdo´i´ba´i´
and Ohkwari'
Member, National Writers Union AFL-CIO
www.hunterbear.org
(much social justice material)

See the Stormy Adoption of an Indian Child [My Father]:
http://hunterbear.org/James%20and%20Salter%20and%20Dad.htm

For the new, just out (11/2011) and expanded/updated
edition of my "Organizer's Book," JACKSON MISSISSIPPI --
with a new and substantial Introduction by me.  We are close upon
the 50th anniversary of the massive Jackson Movement of1962-63.:
http://hunterbear.org/jackson.htm

Personal Background Narrative (with many links):
http://hunterbear.org/narrative.htm